For Mark Osterman and other curious folks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: For Mark Osterman and other curious folks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

I've had a couple of people ask about my magnet charger most recently Mark Osterman, so I thought I would post some pictures, measurements ect. Well here goes nothing.

First the completed charger.
mcmc2

The core is a couple of pieces of cold rolled welded together approx.4 3/4" long X 3" X 2 1/4".
mc3mc4

Around this core are 10 layers of #12 thwn wire 32 revolutions per layer each layer was wrapped with clear packing tape more for wire control than any thing else (didn't want it to come loose and have to start all over again if I lost my handle on it). The end caps are just some Masonite paneling scraps I had laying around.

mc5

The end poles are just some 3" X 1/2" flat stock approx.10" long bent at a right angle at about 7 1/2". The pieces on top were added after the fact to see if they would improve the magnetizing. I saw no real difference other than not having to hold the magnet in place with my hand.

mc6mc8

The base is a scrap piece of what I would term a layed-up or manufactured beam from a house renovation around the corner. The starter solenoid I had laying around the garage and the big red switch was compliments of the local scrap yard out of some old machinery.

mc7

I will tell you I love garage sales and flea markets and that is where I got a lot of the materials if not all for this project. The wire was the most expensive, bought at a garage sale about $10.00 for a unused spool I believe it was 500 feet and I used darn near all of it. Most stuff I had laying around for years just did not know it was a magnet charger scattered all over. Jim

ps. Mark I hope this answers your questions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration