Enclosed Trailer Towing Mirrors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Enclosed Trailer Towing Mirrors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:37 am:

Has anybody had any success with clip-on type trailer towing mirrors? I have a 2008 Ford F-150 with which I'm planning on towing an 8.5 wide enclosed car-hauler trailer. Looking for some solution short of replacing very expensive original Ford factory equipment electric adjustable and heated mirrors. Rather than disturb my original factory mirrors, I'd even be willing to make my own mirrors if anybody knows how to do this or know of any "plans" for making something that will work. Anybody,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:12 am:

I used some on my 2000 F250 that clipped to the plastic mirror housing. They worked OK but were a bit of a hassle to put on and store when not in use. Finally got a set of the extendable mirrors from an aftermarket supplier. They were not that difficult to change out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:30 am:

So what kind would you suggest Dale, and where did you get them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:01 am:

I got mine on Ebay, clip them on at the beginning of the season and take them off at the end. works well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Florida Freighter Jim For Now on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Harold,

You can buy clip on - strap on mirrors locally from a Uhaul Superstore - Harbor Freight - any store that sells towing accessories and/or truck accessories.

You are better off buying locally to actually look at the mirror(s) to see if they will work out for you - then you can drive around for a few days to see if they stay on.

One of the advantages of driving a " vintage " Ford F series truck are the big@ss factory tow mirrors ....

They are not heated - they don't really adjust - but they do the job .... :-)

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:28 am:

I remember back in the 70s dad had these clamp on west coast mirrors that went out on the front fenders when pulling the camper. They worked well but you bad to be careful not to hit things with them. Do t know if they still make them or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:48 am:

When we found hauling our 18X8'6" trailer we needed more mirror we found [take off's] on line at a very good price.Very easy to change and good quality that from 2003 are still on the job!! Of course we went to the cheap strap on mirror's first and found them to be cheap junk and a total waste of money!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Harold this is your best bet and they are easy to swap out it is what I use
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-14-Ford-F150-POWER-HEATED-Towing-Mirrors-Telescoping-Puddle-Light-Signal-/282108292166?fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item41aef6ec46:g:HUMAAOSwdzVXrKlf&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Harold
Just a word of caution. I note you have a F150 and the trailer sounds fairly big. Please verify the towing weight ratings of your truck. I've heard of people getting in trouble in some jurisdictions (particularly in British Columbia just north of you) with the combination you might have!! I'm sure you have considered all this, but just a word of caution

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Florida Freighter Jim For Now on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Les,

Good point.

Towing is one thing - stopping is another.

Personally I would not pull an 8.5 wide enclosed car hauling trailer with anything less than a one ton dually truck.

Particularly above 55 m.p.h. and/or in inclement weather.

Florida Freighter Jim
F350 CC Dually 5 speed 7.3 Tow Vehicle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Harold, I made these extensions for my van, they are interchangeable between vans and require three 17/64 holes in the extensions and two more in the mounted brackets, two 1/4x1 bolts and nuts hold each in place. Then just move the mirror head to the extension. This solution worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Les, I towed a 8 1/2 ft wide X 20 ft trailer with a 1938 Ford pickup inside for 6 years using a 2004 F150 and never had a problem. I used an equalizer hitch and my electric brakes worked great. I had the opportunity to load a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero on it several times as well as a 1993 Mustang and never had a problem. I towed in Winter and Summer, across mountains and over the prairies. When I was tired my wife would drive. The only time I had a problem was when people felt obligated to crowd the back of the trailer to the point where it was difficult to change lanes on the freeway. I would tow at 65 to 70 mph all daylong. It didn't lack in acceleration and drank fuel at a ridiculous rate.

My suggestion to you would be to purchase a newer Peterbilt or Kenworth with a 400 diesel, 13 speed transmission, conventional cab and a 53' van (sleeper optional). You can never have enough. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Oh, before I forget, make sure you have a good set of mirrors on it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Harold, I don't remember where I got the clip on's, you might check the truck stop shops or Wallyworld. The replacement mirrors came from Ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:45 am:

here you go Mike G. Just what you need

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:46 am:

oops for got this
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5972918326.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. A real "rig"! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Mike
Perhaps you missed my point. You can run into legal/ jurisdictional issues. What you can get away with is not the point. I've just seen too many jackknifed wrecked trailer rigs on long weekends Personally I usually tow with a 2000 F250 with a 7.3 and a 6 speed. OR I tow a with my 65 Hayes converted semi motor home with a 855 cu in Cummins and a 13 speed Road Ranger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

I bought a set that slipped over my mirrors on F150 and looked like they belonged there. Amazon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

If the truck has a sway control hitch and a factory brake controller, I wouldn't hesitate to pull right up to the max rating of it. I pull a 26' extra tall 8.5' wide bumper pull with a Chevy 1500 with "max towing package" rated to 10,500lbs

Trailer weighs about 8000lbs with 2 Ts in it.

I have factory extending tow mirrors, which work very well with the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Derrick
And you and I agree. That is precisely my point

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

My main concern with this particular thread I started is, what kind of 8.5 ft. wide trailer towing mirrors can I attach to my existing factory mirrors and where can I get them? However, all of the other discussion ref enclosed trailer towing that has resulted has given me a lot of advice and issues to check on, and I very much appreciate everybody's input,....keep it coming,.....especially, what kind of mirrors will work, and where can I buy them? Thank you all,........ harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Harold, the point Derrick and I are making is based on the description of your setup, with the correct hitch ( Derrick called his sway control I called mine equalizer) and the electric brake controller hooked up and working properly you shouldn't have a problem.

Keep in mind Derricks truck and mine were setup with factory towing packages. We were both towing within the limits of our trucks maximum tow rating.

If you're planning on hooking onto a 32 ft trailer that's 8 1/2 ft wide and putting a couple loaded dump trucks in it, you just might be exceeding your trucks limits. I, for some reason, have the opinion, you're a lot more intelligent than that. And, it sounds like you're already setup with a rig you've ran for awhile. So, keep on trucking.

Unless you want to buy the conventional Pete and 53' trailer. :-)

I use the clip on mirrors on my 2500 Chev when I tow my 26 ft 5th wheel camper and think they're very work very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

This is what you're looking for, I have a set on my 2001 3/4 ton Suburban, they're easy to put on and off, they stay on, and they give you that extra viewpoint you need. I'm not saying this is the exact supplier, but these are what you're looking for:

http://www.xtralights.com/04-12-ford-f-150-xlt-driver-and-passenger-side-texture d-extension-towing-side-mirrors-black

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Oh, also, any camper dealership should have the mirrors you're looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

For clip on type check out the McKesh Mirrors. I have a pair for my Tacoma and they work great. Nice and stable and well built. You can find them on eBay for a decent price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Wide mirrors are way inferior to having a rear view camera on the back of the trailer. I can see way more behind me ( you would be surprised at how far to the rear someone can be and still be invisible in side mirrors) and the wide angle lens also gives me a view of vehicles coming past the trailer on either side up to nearly the back end of the trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Harold,Your Ford dealership sells towing Mirrors.I have used them them for years.They just slide over your regular mirror..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Yes Les, we agree. My comment was aimed more toward Jim's post saying he wouldn't tow an 8.5' wide trailer with anything smaller than a 1-ton dually. That is overkill for the hobbyist who tows a few weekends a year with a 1600lb car in the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Les, I didn't miss your point. The fact is Derricks setup and mine (both 1/2 tons) weren't violating any legal or jurisdictional limits. If Harolds truck is an F150 Ford with the proper hitch and properly working electric brakes, he will not violate any limits towing an 8 1/2 ft wide trailer with a Model T Ford in it. Especially when considering a Model T weighs 1500 lbs and will fit on a 14 ft trailer.

That being said, like Derrick I'm also aiming my remarks at Freighter Jim's idea that you shouldn't pull a 8 1/2 ft wide trailer with anything less than a diesel powered, one ton dually truck.

I appreciate the concerns the posters in this forum have for safety. I don't have a problem when someone voices an opinion regarding legal matters. I appreciate what Les is saying.

What I do have a bit of a problem with is this incessant need by some to immediately go out of their way to state the obvious when it doesn't pertain to the question asked. If Harold had been asking about his trucks capacity and whether it was capable of meeting the requirements of the job, I could see some reason for talking about the towing capacity of his 1/2 ton truck. But his question had nothing to do with pulling capacity. He was asking about mirrors! What the hell does the pulling capacity have to do with his mirrors?

Finally Les, I might have misunderstood what you were saying about the legal and jurisdictional limits of Les' setup. And, it sounds like the authorities are pretty strict and more than willing to enforce the applicable laws in an area North of where Les lives. Your concern for his safety and wallet is commendable. I think we can all appreciate your concerns. I apologize for any anxiety I may have caused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:59 am:

While i'm no fan of dually pick ups,Jim has made a lot of trips hauling over the years so his age and experience should count for something! Just like the old Winston add,It's what's up front that counts! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Mike
Thank you
I will add one more thought.
I'm familiar with a expression; Experience is a dear school and a fool learns by no other!!! I LIKE learning from others experiences so I don't have to make all the mistakes personally.
I'm being serious and also not being serious with these last comments
Have a great day. The weather is wonderful here right now, about 60 F yesterday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

I wonder how many people need an 8.5 foot wide trailer when a Model T fits nicely in a 7 foot with room to spare. I'm using a 7x12 enclosed which I pull with the new GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel. I can see around it fine with the stock mirrors, the truck can pull more than double the weight if needed and I'm getting an unheard of 24 mpg towing and 45 mpg not towing. There is nothing that can match it. It also has a built in brake controller and a jake brake so you can run it down a steep mountain and never touch the brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Oh sure Les, rub it in. But really, we've got nothing to complain about here. It's nearly 50 degrees in Central Minnesota in February. That can be a rare thing. But this next week is suppose to be right up there.

It should be even nicer down South of here where Derek lives. You know, down in the Minnesota "sunbelt".

Say Dave, does your trailer have a beaver tail door? I wondered if a T would fit in a 12' trailer. The cost of a 7X12 seems to be exponentially less than anything longer than 16'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Yes Mike I have a ramp door. My T is a Runabout with rear mounted spare. It fits nicely with the top down and windshield folded. I am still able to walk beside and behind the car. The Vee nose gives me lots of space to tie down the car from the front. I can't say for certain if a Touring will fit. There is a chance the the door might hit the edge of the folded roof. You would have to check. Also, I used to use a 6x12 open trailer with enclosed sides. That fits too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Gentlemen, I have a like new set of clip on mirrors that I will donate to a good home. The original box says they will fit a 97-2003 ford F150, F150 Heritage, F250LD and an Expedition. You pay shipping from Tennessee. I used them one summer on a 2001 F150 when I towed a 38'x 8' camper.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration