Model T's and volcanoes-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T's and volcanoes-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Mt.Lassen 1914

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:01 am:

This might be May 22, 1915, from what I found on an internet search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:07 am:

It is an interesting photo. The car is a couple years old but the owner has kept the brass polished better that some folks did.
Thanks Herb

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Looks ominous - Sure hope it started and he was able to get out of there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Oh look ! Lets take a photo! It has to say loonie on the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Talk about timing that had to be about .5 seconds after eruption and I don't believe they had "Auto wind" cameras back then.... fantastic picture thanks for sharing Herb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:30 am:

There is a museum in the park. There are a lot of T pictures there of that same car as I remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Mt Lassen is about 50 miles east of my house and have been to the Trail Head of Lassen but never took the trail up there and now I am to old to take the chance. Be my luck to have it blow up again, and it has been about a 100 years. Beautiful drive up there and if the snow is till there fun to play in it. You can take the whole day driving thru the park, and it is worth every minute of it. Best to come around to the Manzanita Lake entrance and go up this west side, have a picnic and sell all the different sites.
I would say that Dave Dewey and maybe Wayne Sheldon will say the say thing. When it blew up way back then I bet it was a site to behold.
The word is that even Mt Shasta , just north of Redding could blow up as it is in the "Ring of Fire" area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Volcanoes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

OHHHH, I would NOT want to standing there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

That is a famous photo. Terrie and I love that park and have driven through it in our old 1913 Model T Mountain Wagon. There is a road circling around the back of the volcano through the area known as the Devastated Area. This area was denuded of vegetation by the blast and pyroclastic flows.

The volcano is still active, back in 1977 we were on a visit there and decided to bicycle around the mountain from Manzaneta Lake through the devastated area. We were pulled over by a distraught ranger about midway around. He pointed out that the area was in the historic path of volcanic distruction and because of the danger the road was resticted to no stopping. He wanted everyone to transit the area as quickly as possible to protect their lives. He didn't much appreciate that we hadn't stopped until he ordered us to do so. Also since we were only half way through the devistated area and would need to do a second transit after completing the ride, he turned us around. He admonished us not to stop even to rest on our return journey.

This still gives us giggles as there hasn't been an eruption there since 1915.

About 25 years later we drove our 1913 T up to Bumpus Hell near the volcano and then east to Drakesbad along with friends in their model T Fords. A beautiful area!

Benjamin Franklin Loomis documented Lassen Peak's most recent eruption cycle and promoted the park's establishment. He photographed the eruptions, explored geologically, and developed an extensive museum collection. Artifacts and photographs of the 1914-1915 eruption are on display in the Loomis Museum.

Prior to the 1914 eruption:

The eruption cycle started in 1914:

So the famous photo was not such an incredibly lucky shot:

A few seconds later (hmmm, a 1914 copyright on a 1915 photo?):

37 miles away at Red Bluff:

37 miles, 50 feet away:

50 miles away at Anderson :

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

BTW the numbers on the photos are because, expecting the eruption, Loomis shot a series of photos from that location. I used to have copies of more in the series but cannot find them just now.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Terry,
Thank you for posting those historic pictures. Sadly, the iconic clock tower building seen in the Red Bluff photos burned to the ground about 20 years ago. There was much talk about rebuilding it, or at least the clock tower part, but no success yet.
Yes, the drive around the park is an amazing drive with many vistas and unusual features to look at. I was part of the team that documented the roads around Lassen for the proposed "Historic Scenic Byways" designation. If you ever read the proposal, you'll find my name there (even I haven't read it!). To the north is the "Captain Jack Stronghold" volcanic area where a group of native Americans held out against the government back in the "Indian Wars" times.
About the time Terry & Terrie were bicycling, there was fear of another eruption or a mud flow and campgrounds were closed for some time.
Yes, Mount Shasta is also a DORMANT Volcano and is being watched. Back in the late 1970s it was thought that Mt. Shasta was more likely to become active than other mountains in the chain, and then Mt. St. Helens erupted. At that time "they" claimed that Mt. Shasta would give little, if any, visible warning and was capped in such a way that the eruption would be sudden, violent, and send debris in a 50 mile radius. Where we lived at the time in Dunsmuir was considered to be Not-survivable. Made for restful sleep. . . .
If you want to drive through the Mt. Lassen park, do be aware that the main road is usually snowed in until about mid-June! This year might be later even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Thank you Terry H and David D for the photos and backgrounds!
I have visited that park several times, but it has been quite a few years now. About 20 years ago, we camped there for several days, and visited many of the various sites and the museum. The devastation area is a sight to behold.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration