MC Acetylene Tanks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: MC Acetylene Tanks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase an MC sized acetylene cylinder with an offset valve. I have heard that they are still manufactured but can't find the supplier.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

I have been looking for one for a long time. I finally mounted one on an angle which effectively gives you the an offset effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

I have been thinking about just buying one of the upright brackets and mounting it vertically. Val, where did you mount your cylinder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Larry,

Visit your local weld gas supplier and ask them if they have any with offset valves. They're not that expensive to buy a filled & inspected tank. They're not made that way anymore, but there's lots of old ones still in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

My Gas supplier offered to sell me one (sans gauge),for $60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Larry,

What are you using the MC tank for?

The only acetylene tank with the off center valve readily available is a Prest-O-Lite "B" tank. They are available from your local welding supply house. You can lay them down with the valve high or stand them up.

I've never seen a Prest-O-Lite MC tank with anything other than a center "Y" valve.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Larry I mounted the bottle on the inside of the frame where it does not show. Not the most convenient spot but I was not too keen on putting it under the rear seat or any other spot where a leak might allow gas to accumulate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Larry-
I mounted an MC tank under my rear floorboard on my 1911 touring. It works fine for a brief show, but for serious acetylene lighting you'll need a prest-o-lite tank.

Will this be for your open runabout? You might need a Type E to fit on the short running board.

Here is a diagram of how I did it. The details were published in the HCCA Gazette a few years back.

Send me your e-mail and I'll send you some more information.

: ^ )

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration