OT - Model A cylinder head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Model A cylinder head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

My buddy and I are trying to get his grandparents Model A back on the road, and we have run into a problem. There is a hole in the cylinder head. It looks like it was patched with weld at some point, but is not holding the water out of the combustion chamber anymore.

My question is, what is the best plan of action? I figured it would be best to simply replace the head, but we're trying to find a way to avoid paying $300-$400 for a brand new one. Is there a good place to find a used head? and if we find one, would it be a good idea to use it?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Post a picture of your cylinder head so that folks can see what year/kind it is, then you'll probably get some replies or PMs offering you a good replacement. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Luke - have been around Model As for 43 years and have 7 of them. Yes, you can and should use an original head. Look for them at swap meets and on Craigslist. You shouldn't be paying all that much for one (unless it's an aftermarket high compression one): $25-$50 is the general range. Have it checked, milled and put it in.

Lot of guys on here have As as well - maybe someone on here in your neck of the woods has a spare or two laying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Here it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Show where the patch or leak is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Looks like near the #3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

I will post a picture when I get back on the computer, but the patch is on the inside of the #1 cylinder. It is directly over the intake valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Here's a picture of the inside of the #1 cylinder. The patch is in the top left corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:02 am:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Toss it and get another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Try Ford-n-More in Spokane, wa They have used Model A heads they sell. 509-535-7789

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:55 am:

2X ford barn. There should be someone closer to TX that has one. Besides, Fordbarn has a very active Model A forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

There's plenty in the Austin TX area. Call the local A club then you will have one today. Common as dirt and cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

I have several that are good and can be surfaced for use. I get 100$ plus shipping for one ready to install.

http://model-a-ford-4bangers.com/Home.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

How 'bout Berts in Denver,

http://modelastore.com/

Good luck,
Kevin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration