What could be causing this?...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What could be causing this?...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Yesterday I took her out for a short spin and everything was fine. During my post-flight inspection I discovered this.Wheel 1Wheel 2Wheel 3Wheel 4Wheel 5
I'm still a newb but I suspect a worn axle oil seal. Could I possibly be right? Thanks, Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Yes. Are you aware of the history of your car. Has the rear end ever been apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Not exactly, Mike. I was told the engine and transmission were rebuilt shortly before I bought it but I have no idea if the thrust washers are babbitt or bronze or brass at this point. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

And check out the rear brake attachments, modify or adjust so they don't continue cutting the wheel spokes! Sometimes that is caused by something as simple as turning around a bolt, or bending a cotter pin a little differently.
If only the one spoke is nicked, and only that much? It is probably still okay to use, but should be painted to protect the wood, and make certain nothing is continuing to cut at it.

Rear end could be leaking because the seal has failed, or an old type seal with too much grease or oil in the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

In my opinion, before you have any more failures, it would be best to pull the rear and see whats inside. You can already add a set of modern inner neoprene axle seals and a set of brake linings to the list.

There have been two recent builds on the forum that discovered some not so nice things going on inside, it really is worth the look for piece of mind and safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

At the very least you've got a leaking wheel/axle seal & it's soaked your RM's & whatever type of inside brake shoes you have. Looking at the diff lube color I'd guess it's been in there for a while too. I'd also suggest the rear might be over filled either from actually over filling it or from engine oil running into the diff from the 4th main. Contamination from the eng oil or just dirt picked up from the brakes could cause that dark color but in any case it's no indicator of the diff's condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Charlie, just a note that I've done two oil changes in the last two months with something like 3 or 4 miles between the changes just as a precaution to flush out the system as I had no idea how long it had been since an oil change before I got the car. So the oil is pretty clean but, you're correct, the dark color surprised me as well. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Jerry, you'll end up putting a day or two worth of labor into it but it's worth taking the rear end out, checking everything out and replacing/rebuilding worn parts. It comes down to a matter of safety. Even with the RM's it's still nice to know you can count on the trans brake not failing. It'll run into a few bucks but probably worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Nice AC brakes! I wanna try them, without the spoke hedging of course.
The seals behind the outer axle bearings can cause this.
Please pull the rear axle apart and check. You already know the drill. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration