What's up with engine block changes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What's up with engine block changes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:12 am:

I have two blocks from 1923. One is July and the other is December. The casting boss where the numbers are stamped is different between the two. The earlier one cuts back under itself while the later one goes straight all the way down to the water inlet section. I think I have seen these interchangeable for several years. Or was there a cut off date?

Also, were the numbers always 1/4" high ... or did the factory use other sizes?

number 1

number 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:16 am:

If the number is the sole method you are dating it by that could be a problem. Replacement engines came unstamped, or perhaps somebody in the past needed something to match their title . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Top image matches the profile of the pre-August coupes, while the lower image matches the profile of the coupes introduced in August. That is my theory and I'm sticking with it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:25 am:

What about runabouts?

And .... the number stamping height?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Stamps are 1/4" according to Ford Service.

September 1923

June 1923

According to Bruce's book, about Sept 1923 the Ford script was left off the block on some production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Has anyone ever seen one with two numbers as described in the service book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:44 am:

Sometime in 1923, in about September according to Bruce's book, the engine block casting was changed to remove the, Ford Made In USA, and the engine number boss was changed into a more rectangular shape. Mark, if this holds your July 1923 USA block should have the Ford script and your December 1923 should not have it. Also Ford stopped using a casting date around this time so your July block should have a casting date and your December block should not have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:03 am:

On my '14 block there is no number, it is assumed this was a replacement engine never installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Likely a replacement block only.

Fully assembled factory engines always had serial numbers on the block as per Ford Service bulletin.

Every complete motor that leaves the factory....bears a number stamped on the cylinder block ...Separate cylinder blocks do not bear a number.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration