Old Photo - Model T Era - Oilfields, Coalinga California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Oilfields, Coalinga California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

So do all these have wind turbines mounted on them now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

If you ever happen to be at Harris Ranch in Coalinga, go into the main restaurant and grab a bite. They have old photos with Model T's hanging on the walls everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Jay (or anyone),
Do you have any idea when this might have been taken? My father-in-law worked the oil fields of Coalinga. Just wondered if this is what it looked like when he was there.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I pulled a couple of Coalinga photos off the web, I don't know if they show the oil fields. The tower looks like a solar farm. I've never stopped at Harris Ranch, but have seen it many times as I passed through. As I recall the area looks pretty much like these photos now. You really don't see much when driving past on 5... mostly trucks jockeying for spots at about 15-25 mph over their legal limit on the two lane road.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Here's another related picture from the Coalinga wikipedia page, titled "Coalinga's first carload of automobiles."

The wooden derricks and the trail-like service roads probably date this to the 1880-1920 era of production(?)
It looks like pictures of the outskirts of Los Angeles taken during that time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:41 am:

Dale,
My father-in-law's father-in-law (my wife's grandfather) was hired to build wooden derricks in Coalinga from 1913 till 1920, so your timeline seems correct.
For what it's worth, he supposedly had the first car in Coalinga, but it wasn't a Model T. Don't really know if that's true, or if it even fits with your picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Bob, He could have had the first car in Coalinga- this picture merely shows the first "...carload" being assembled at the depot so they can be driven to the dealership that ordered them.

No doubt some forward thinking, or just plain impatient residents had already smuggled a few horseless carriages in by 1914!

Do you know what type of car it was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

No, I don't. My wife thinks she was told, but can't remember other than "it seemed like a long name". She's the only one left on her side of the family, so no one to ask.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration