The other reason I avoid steel bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The other reason I avoid steel bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:53 am:

I prefer bronze perch and spring bushings because I'd rather wear out the bushings than the hangers. But there's another reason.

Getting the old steel bushings out is usually an absolute nightmare. Yes, I know a hacksaw and a die grinder can help, but it's never easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Heat the steel bushing up some. let it cool off and they will come out most every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

As John said. Heat the ID of the bushing red hot and let it cool, slowly. The heat will break down the rust and by being red hot the bushing will shrink when it cools. Try it, you'll like it. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

I always thought Ford went to steel bushings in later years because the brass was wearing the steel parts out faster. The brass, being softer, held shavings that wore on the steel and not the brass. And besides that, steel was probably cheaper. Kind of a thrifty move on Ford's part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Its amazing how the rust that's on the inside of the two surfaces whether its T spring perches and the steel bushings or any thing that's similar can seize up the parts.

The first real job I had where I was helping install and take apart large water pumps, air compressors and any thing mechanical, the older and a lot smarter mechanics than myself used that trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

The reason rusted parts get so tight is that rust takes up more volume than the iron that it came from. If the rust is confined and can't flake off, then it jams the two parts together. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Rust never sleeps! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

John and Dave are on the mark. Heat and a little penetrant did the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Steve, which car are these perches for? I thought you had already gone through all the bushings on the touring and roadster. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

What other bushing would work in that application?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Isn't bronze too soft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

This job is so much easier with a hydraulic press!

You can apply much more force in a much more controlled manner.

Folks poo-poo the Harbor Freight cheapies, but I have had good service from mine for 30 years. :-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-a-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-pre ss-1667.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Hal, bronze is stout enough for spindle bushings, so I figure it's probably OK for hangers.

These perches are off a Ruckstell I'm working on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks Steve.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration