Final operation making my new cylinder head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Final operation making my new cylinder head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

This project has been awhile in the doing. It has ended up requiring the use of a lot of different tools. Here I am starting the taping of the water outlet holes. I was struggling with how to drill the holes nice and squarely into the end of the head and then realized that my Shop Smith was just right. I started with a Joe Bell casting
Left to fabricate is the intake and exhaust systems. I am well begun on both those items.
With luck I will be ready for the Lincoln Nebraska event!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Looking good. Ive only seen 1 head that was built from scratch using a couple blocks of aluminum (a staggered 8V overhead with offset push rods).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Nice! Can't wait to hear how it runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Thx guys. The combustion chamber and pistons copy the 37-53 flathead V8. The cam is a special that Bill Stipe and I came up with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Well Les, I think you are the only one that has done any thing with the raw castings, I sold two others casting like your and have never heard of them finishing them. Any one that has machined a raw casting finds out they are more setups and machining than most people want to pay for. That is why I only made a dozen of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Joe
Well you made my day!!! Not that I wish anyone else misfortune. It's a heck of a lot of "putting one foot in front of the other ". And a certain amount of one step ahead and two steps back some days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

combustion chamber

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:18 am:

Les have you measured it for how many CC's that chamber is? Looks like it'll make a ton of compression. Also, how much valve lift will it handle? I can't really tell in the photo, but it doesn't look like it ramps very steeply from the cylinder squish area to the valve area. I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:37 am:

I like seeing the real creative old skills like this. Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Seth
I haven't done any volume measurements. Lots of actual measurements so that I am pretty confident that I will have about.040-.050 piston and valve to head clearance. The close valve clearance was why I made the spark plug "pockets. One of those compromises to get maximum compression ratio!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:41 am:

At assembly I will verify clearance using "plasticine "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Bttt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration