Brakes Too Tight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brakes Too Tight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Redleg on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Hi folks,

Working on a 25 Roadster.

Ive installed new two-piece brake shoes. I had to grind a small amount of material off the shoes where they contact the cams to get the hub on. Its tight, but the wheels turn. The problem is the shoes are so tight against the cam that any movement of the brake lever forward or backward from vertical engages the brakes. Am I missing something? Should I grind off more brake shoe at the cam contact point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Give that a try, especially if they are repros.
I've never had that problem with the old stock lined shoes, but you didn't mention if they are lined. If they are, a brake shop can arc them for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

The only problem I had was when installing Rocky Mountain brakes with the large drum and also the small drum inside it. The outside edge of the shoes rubbed on the small drum.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration