Thoughts about new Rock Mountain brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thoughts about new Rock Mountain brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Are the rocky mountain brakes that are available today worth buying? I have heard they have issues, but I am not sure. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Good discussion on brakes here from a few days ago. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/716123.html?1485002167 Did this search on Yahoo "rocky mountain brakes mtfca.com 2017"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

The later style of Rocky Mountain brakes have a self-energizing feature that might be thought of as a mechanical "power-assist." _Unfortunately, this same feature is what causes these brakes to be far less effective in reverse. _That is the reason why, when installing RM brakes, it's important to keep your internal transmission brake in working order. _There's no doubt that in a forward direction, Rockies will decrease your braking distance—up to a point. _That point seems to be about 30 mph, at least in the case of my car. _At 35 mph, my stopping distance is noticeably longer and requires more pedal effort.

One need remember is that, with the skinny tires we use, our braking traction is only as much as can be gotten out of a footprint the size of a shot-glass. _The best disc brakes in the world won't make the car stop any better than a correctly adjusted set of Rocky Mountain brakes because Rockies already have enough power to lock up the rear wheels. _More power than that, you don't need.

The other limitation of Rocky Mountain Brakes is that they become ineffective when wet in rainy weather, so you'll be depending on your less powerful internal transmission brake under such conditions. _To my way of thinking, the silver lining of that particular cloud is that the car is less likely to skid that way.

Are Rocky Mountain Brakes worth the investment? _In my opinion, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

I have R/M's on my T and love them because i know their strengths and weaknesses, and therefor drive accordingly,.. like i have no brakes at all. Others here like the older style which i hear is much better in reverse and in the wet. In any case both are far superior than just relying on the trans brake alone. Its also very important to have a well functioning parking-brake no matter which route you decide to take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Wet is wet when it comes to outside brakes. What linings are installed can make a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:00 am:

Hi all ; Can some of you tell me why the Rocky-Mountain brakes don't work when wet. And the transmission brake works when RUNNING IN OIL ???
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:41 am:

The brakes do work when wet but the water has to be burned off first so it takes longer for them to respond. To some extent the same is true of the internal brake running in oil but since it is a constant, as opposed to the variable of wet and dry external brakes, we don't notice it. Unfortunately, it contributes to the poor braking we all live with if we are running stock T's. You can actually have the same issue with water on enclosed drum brake systems but it takes more water to get them soaked when they are internal like driving through a deep puddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:06 am:

I don't yet have personal experience with auxiliary brakes, but for the past several years I've read a lot of forum discussions of them. From what I've read the the current AC brakes have an edge over Rockies because they do work when backing up. So I'll put a set of AC's on my touring and get some personal experience with them. When I do I'll let you know what I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Does anyone know if the original AC brakes work better than the repos now being made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:26 am:

I can only tell how the original AC's work, fine both ways.
I currently have a big drum 26/27 rear end installed on my 21 T and have the RM on it. I don't know why but they seem to work in reverse. I have a friend that has about the same vintage RM's on the his 23 with the added drums installed. The same hill in my driveway that my car stops on backing down with them..his no stop.
Another friend has the current AC's, while he has has a few issues with the levers that apply the shoes that we need to sort out, they seem to work but I have not driven the car to be able to report on them.
I grew up on a farm with a long lane with lots of standing water, learned early in my driving to dry the brakes before getting to the end of the lane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:49 am:

For myself, I would not own a car without them. My wife and I were on a hill pulling away from a stop sign when the pinion gear broke. Just that fast we were going back wards down that hill. My Rocky Mountain brakes stopped us just fine.

If all I had was the emergency brakes to stop us we would have been hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

I have both on different cars and the AC brakes are fine but they do not stop as well as the Rockies. I assume that is because they are self actuating and use a bigger drum so there is more braking surface. I don't think the issue of reverse with the Rockies is that big a deal. First , they do work in reverse but it requires a lot more foot pressure because they do not self actuate in reverse and second, if you have lined shoes on the rear drums they will stop you just fine in reverse. I know some people remove the Ford service brake drum but if you use it along with the larger drum for the Rockies they will work just fine in reverse if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

On a speedster or light roadster with a small drum rear end the AC brake will probably serve you well. If you have a large drum rearend you are pretty much stuck with the new style rocky if, like many of us, you have no interest in the disc brakes. I have tried running the inside brake with an equalizer on the large drum but I feel a properly adjusted set of rockys is better. I would not run the small drum shoes with an equalizer.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

I can't use Rocky Mountain brakes on my 19 because I live in NH and the Rocky Mountains are too far away.

I can use the NH carburetor and White Mountain lightening because the White mountains are close.

I live in the Seacoast area of NH so there is something fishy about this reply.
So the halibut I'm going fishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

You went fishing just for the Halibut?
OK, I'll just clam up now.. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I got a license for my pet fish Eric - he is an halibut. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

I don't plan on taking Eric fishing.
I can't keep him out of the bait bucket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:07 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:09 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:55 am:

The bottom line is, when you reproduce a part, do it like the original, and don't cut corners.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration