Model T Bumpers. Were they ever offered by Ford?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Bumpers. Were they ever offered by Ford?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I've done my best to search the encyclopedia but I find nothing about bumpers and the Model T. Are all bumpers fitted to a T from an accessory supplier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:34 am:

They were a Ford accessory in 1926 - 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:36 am:

This is the Ford accessory front bumper on an unrestored '27 pickup:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:38 am:

You can see the Ford front and rear bumpers on this unrestored '27 coupe:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:42 am:

From March 26 they became optional from Ford.

The part number for the front assembly was 3101SX.

The part number for the rear assembly was 3119SX, for the touring, tudor, and fordor; 3120SX for the roadster and coupe.

I think if you will find a Western Auto book from 23/24 you will see the exact same thing offered by them as 'drilless retrofits' to any existing Ford.

I have always felt that Ford never actually made them for the 26/27, rather they bought near all of those accessories wholesale from others, yet did cause a special center clamp to be used containing the Ford logo. I have a set for my 25 Fordor where when put up next to a 27 with bumpers at an outing the ONLY difference found was a different center clamp. I don't know when and where mine got its' bumpers, it came to me with the front in place and the rears in a box!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:45 am:

This car is actually a '23 touring that has been retrofitted at some point with 1927 wire wheels and spare tire carrier and bumpers. The car currently belongs to Cliff Colee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:22 am:

These bumpers were certainly made by ford. I've had two sets and both had large FORD script rolled right into the steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Thanks to all for the fast response.

I just bought an engineless chassis (sn 14,478,312) for the front fenders, which are much better than the ones on my 27 Tudor and it also had front and rear bumpers. Searched the encyclopedia this morning for some information and came up empty handed.

On another note, after posting my bumper Q I went out and separated the rear axle and found it has brass thrust washers. Did Ford change to brass in regular production or was this serviced and updated sometime later? I can assure you this chassis was not restored sometime long ago. But it hadn't been made into a farm wagon either, no tongue hitch on it. I suspect someone removed the body for a fenderless street rod project a few decades back, though there is no way to be sure. Seller knew nothing about the history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Oops,

Sorry, but some brake cleaner on the thrust washers reveals......they are Babbitt. Nice golden color of the lube threw me off. Thankfully that lube is neither milky or rusty looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Back to the bumpers. I do have the center clamp with the Ford logo on both the front and rear. Pretty rusty though.

Supposed to be nickel plated, correct? What's the going rate for replating bumpers? I should be able to do a lot of the prep (polishing the rust pits smooth) work myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Center medallion would have Ford and Made in USA on Model T and very early model A bumpers. Yes nickel. They are available repro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

To meet DMV requirements for a title I made my own bumpers. Laminated maple. Very strong. Turns out the inspector was very lenient and didn't hold me to literal "Constructed Vehicle" requirements. At least it gives me something to push on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Gary, Hartford (CT) Chrome plating does a great job and will do Nickel. They prefer it if you give them the parts as is. They say that often the sender's prep actually makes more work for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:27 am:

The 26/27 frames are drilled for bumpers, the earlier frames are not.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I have a 26 touring and I found a Dodge front bumper that fit with no modifications. The center logo was round with no ident but the Ford logo fits.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration