Warped the clutch cage .. now what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Warped the clutch cage .. now what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Was trying to remove the clutch cage with a puller and a torch. It was really stuck on there. Applied heat and it moved a little ... applied more heat and it moved a little more ... applied more heat and the puller pulled the side up and now the clutch cage is warped and I still can't get the thing off. I have extra cages ... but need to get the warped one off. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

What is a "clutch cage" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

The clutch disc drum.

Seems more torch is maybe necessary. If you twisted the bore of the drum on the shaft, that might have really stuck the woodruff key too. Then a lot of pull will be needed, concentrated on the key way section to keep the pull straight up on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

I suppose you've remembered to remove the screw that holds it in place first :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Sorry .... yes, the "clutch disc drum" ... I used the very same set up as above with a torch. Had done this before and with some pressure and heat there was a slight snapping sound and it released. But with this one it was tough going all the way. Before I knew it the clutch disc drum was pulled up on opposite sides. I've let it cool .. will go back for another session. Luckily I have a spare shaft and a couple of good drums once I get this blasted thing off.

Tried to up load a picture from my iPhone but the file was too big. Usually size them with my computer at work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Roger ... ha ... yes. Like I said, I've done this before with no problems. This one is fighting back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

I'd consider grinding it off if since further pulling may well ruin the trans shaft. If the key is wedged in there, I don't think you have another choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Not meaning to be snarky or anything. But are you sure you got all that set screw out? The reason I ask, is that a couple of the transmissions I have taken apart over the years had somehow managed to shear off the nub on the end of that set screw (they are supposed to have a nub on the end of the screw). On one of them, the nub was loose inside the hole, and I was able to get it out, and apart. The other one, I could not get that nub out of the hole, and destroyed the clutch disc center before getting it off. And I can tell you from experience, getting a die grinder inside that thing is not fun either. A lot of heat, hammers, and chisels were involved. Someone really good using a cutting torch could probably remove the piece without destroying anything else.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

The tightness is in the key area. Focus the torch flame on the boss where the set screw and key are.

I've done exactly the same as you have (warped the drum) and in every case the problem was that there was a very large burr in the shaft and keyway, raised when the drum was last installed. I felt a bit better when I saw those, realizing that there was no way to have gotten things apart without damage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration