Tobin Arp TA-14 or 15 Owners; I have a couple of questions...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tobin Arp TA-14 or 15 Owners; I have a couple of questions...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Have any of you ever changed the drive belt? I have mine pretty much disassembled and still cannot figure out how to get the belt onto the pulley. What am I missing??

Also, is anyone reproducing the leather cups for the transverse drive and the oil pump plunger??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Brent
I have not done it, but when I'm faced with it I would explore buying one of those V belts that is made in individual "links". Yes they probably cost a bit more but worth considering
Pump cup. I have formed leather myself. I soak it in water until it is good and wet. I then make a "male and female " mold and press/clamp the leather into it and let dry. Put the smooth side out in the mold. I have used this method!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Les is correct on the link belt idea. The brand I used on my lathe is Fenner. The belts consist of nothing more than multiple links of the same shape, and they are just twisted aside to make the join. The material is as tough as old boots. In 15 years I have not even had my lathe belt off to take out a link to adjust the tension.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Les
Do you have the thrust cutting attachment? if so could you post a picture?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Randall
Yes I do. Will try to post some pictures tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

The pulley unscrews from the drive tube and then the pulley can be dropped down to change the belt.
I'll check and see if I have an exploded view of the drive head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Randy, got home to late to call.

Your number was not on my phone, and it should have been.

Call anytime now.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Brent: Check your email. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:46 am:

My parts book shows the complete breakdown and I can post a picture of it or send it to anyone interested, but the thread connecting the pulley to the drive tube is left hand. If you pull the feed cylinders all the way out, there is a keyway in the drive tube that you can use to prevent rotation of the tube and then grab the bottom of the pulley and unscrew it. My records show that the belt is a 70" A section belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Dan I would like breakdown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Thanks Les like to see if I'm missing anything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Randall
Sorry I forgot today. When I got mine I was missing the facing cutter holder, which I managed to figure out and make. What might you be missing?
I was busy machining intake manifold parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Les when I bought mine it had no thrust cutting attachment,hoping to use kwik way with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Randall
The TA thrust facing attachment that I have is quite sophisticated/ complex piece of machinery. It permits the operator to move the cutter radially as it spins. It has a hand knob sticking out sideways that I turn. It is connected through a bearing to a angular tooth gear rack which engages with the cutter holder. If you don't have most of it, I believe it would be a fairly interesting project to build one from scratch. Perhaps within your abilities

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Les, I believe I have most of the pieces for a thrust facing attachment for my TA 14 but can't figure out what I'm missing. If you could post a picture I would be grateful. Love your 5 main block project.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Bill
Perhaps post pictures of what you have?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration