Twin Plug Set Up For the Speedster Guys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Twin Plug Set Up For the Speedster Guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Just saw this package deal on tbay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Sherman-head-with-Stutz-dual-Delco-distribu tor-Matco-crossdrive-/172538185078?hash=item282c13c576:g:sYwAAOSwB-1YqKR5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Nice piece. Fortunately I can up with a much cheaper solution for a dual plug spark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Just remember for those younger folks we will be able to tell our kids in 30 years. I saw one of those way back and it was "only" x amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Hi Les,

Can you share your progress on your twin spark setup? I have a BB and BBR Rajo that use twin spark. Given what I spent on those two heads, I will have to pass on any exotic vintage twin spark units.

I have the Nissan twin spark distributor but that's it.

Thanks,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Tom
Sure. I added the Nissan cap and Rotor to a new Bosch plate distributor. A quite simple machining job and certainly I could provide pictures. My stroke of luck was realizing that Onan 2 cylinder engines have a coil specially designed to fire 2 plugs at the same time. It's not cheap but is readily available. I've also heard that Koehler might also have a similar coil, but I can't attest to it's suitability.
And please understand that these coils are constructed differently internally than the ordinary coil. The two high tension connections come from opposite ends of the winding

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

I have recently purchased a Fronty model t racing engine with dual spark. The builder used a 28 Nash 8 cylinder distributor for spark to 8 plugs. These are often available at swap meets. Sort of a cheap way to obtain dual spark for 8 plugs.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

More info on the actual " mechanics " of the system please
Special rotor?
Two sets of points ?
Two coils?
Or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

I have one of those on an SR Frontenac and yes I have two different manifolds, a single and a dual.

SR

SR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Otherwise I don't see how a 8 cylinder distributor could fire the 2 plugs per cylinder at the same time. Easily it could "fake" the action!!! I'm waiting to be educated. Always wanting to learn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Les,

I also have a Bosch front plate (purchased from Bruce McCalley) and a pretty good idea of the machine work needed to adapt the Nissan distributor. However, I would love to see your method of adapting the Nissan cap to the Bosch distributor.

Can you provide details on the Onan coil? What is the part number? How do you wire it to the Nissan cap?

I remember seeing Sherman twin spark heads on some speedsters on the Santa Clara run back in the '70s. As a teenager, I was too busy looking at the OHV T engines to pay attention to the ignition on some old flathead!

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Franks setup has the Stutz caps on it. The one on E-bay has what appears to be 4cyl jeep caps on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Tom
Sure I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Here's what I ended up using having not been able to locate OR afford a Bosch twin fire magneto from the period at the time of the build near 30 years ago. Early 80's Datsun Z car, I believe - been too long !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

RE: 28 Nash 8 cylinder distributor for spark to 8 plugs
We have a couple of those at the shop, I'll have to take a look inside to see how it fires. I've heard of them being used but never gave it much thought. If the contacts are close together and only have single contact on rotor would it be that the would be a delay in firing the second plug
with each pair of wires placed next to each other?

Re;The two high tension connections come from opposite ends of the winding
Little off topic' The model 72 Maytag twin cylinder engines fired the same way, the high tension leads came off the ends, scavenger firing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Harley Davidson has two ended secondary leads, probably expensive, though. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

The Nash distributor uses a 4 lobe cam with the 2nd set of points offset 45 degrees so that each end of the rotor fires every other plug. The rotors in these distributors have the two tips 180 degrees apart. This setup uses 1 coil to fire 4 cylinders and a 2nd separate coil to fire the remaining 4 cylinders. They can be converted to fire a twin spark 4 cylinder engine with each coil firing 1 bank of plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Thank you Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

customized rotor

rotor box with part number. I bought all of these items from local parts store stock

customized Bosch distributor

other side of cap adapter

nissan cap

cap box with part number

Onan coil box with part number

Onan coil
I hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Harley davidson used simultaneous coils too--- used one on a 10 buick 2cyl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Les,
I use two Harley Davidson Accel iginition coils in my 2 cylinder REO. My REO custom iginition fires two plugs per cylinder. I also use one OEM Harley Davidson coil for our 2 cylinder Buick. With the Buick it is a "Lost Spark" set up and works well and simple using one set of points.
The Harley coils come in several coil resistances....depending if you are using points or a solid state iginition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Les,

I will provide lots of photos as soon as I pick my engine up on the way home from Bakersfield swap meet.

My Fronty engine comes with a really cool speedster body, a ruxstel, 2 really nice early brass radiators, a bunch of neat T parts and some regular T parts from an estate in central Cali.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration