Spark plug question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spark plug question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Is there any advantage to using the 14mm modern plugs over the originals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Only if you have a head which is bored for 14 mm plugs. If you are running an original head, any of the Model T plugs will work. I have used Autolite, and Champion. Both work fine in a standard T head.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

No advantage, but extra cost. You need adapters to make them fit a stock head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

The advantage I guess is that you can easily get a plug in the heat range that you need. There are many more choices in a modern plug.

The modern plugs are cheap and you can make your own adapters but the plug will sit further away from the fire.

I've tried them before but now run ones from rock auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

There are modern plugs that are cheap and will fit without adapters, like Autolite 3095. $2.19 at Advance Auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I'm sure I've read where "metric" cylinder heads were made by Ford for certain export markets. And by metric they meant having I believe 18 mm spark plug threads. So much for the term "modern ". The bolts were still SAE and UNC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

I run 14mm plugs in adapters in alloy heads. The adapters stay in place and the plugs are swapped by screwing them out of the adapter. I like to think I am doing my best to preserve the threads in the head. It's a bit like having a brass union in a pot metal carburetor. The union takes the work rather than the soft pot metal carb body.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Yes, Les, I've never seen such a head here in Sweden, instead I think they were sold in France and other continental european countries in the early years when it was hard to find plugs with 1/2" pipe thread there. As the Ford became a world success, the pipe thread plugs were made available in all countries, so the metric thread head engines weren't built after 1920.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration