A little while back I took the advise of a thread in the forum and installed an in line fuse at the take off point for the electrical system near the starter button on the '26 tourer.
Well yesterday it did its job and blew out.. a dead short some where.
I checked along the wiring loom, but found no sign of abrasion.It was new only a year or so ago so its not deteriorated with age.
Disconnected the bat. wire off the generator and replaced the fuse.... that worked and got me started and home.
Any suggestions what to look for in the generator that would cause a dead short?
Well if the generator wasn't toast before this problem, it could well be now, they don't like to be run disconnected with out a by-pass wire fitted as the just keep producing high voltage until it fries it's self, so your starting point is to check/rebuild the genny.
Was there a dead short at the generator before you disconnected the wire there? That is one of the places that can cause a blown fuse. The cutoff on the generator gets stuck or shorted and then when you turn off the engine, the wire is grounded through the generator.
You might be lucky, check the generator before you replace it. If sometime in the future, you run the engine with the generator wire disconnected, ground the main post out of the generator and it will save the generator.
Look at the ammeter terminals.