1922 Centerdoor project just about done....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1922 Centerdoor project just about done....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I took the Centerdoor for a short ride down the road today. Spring like day and warm enough to enjoy it. She still needs some tweaking but it seemed to be smiling while it hiccupped and farted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Wow. Looks very nice. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

I love it. I would like to have a center door sedan to keep my '21 Touring company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Gorgeous! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Wonderful workmanship, Don!
Thank you for having posted your progress through the earlier photo updates. Some of us see what we don't know by pictures....
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I just hope my wife never sees your car! If she does she will want me to restore mine...not that it would ever look as good as yours!
I never thought I would like a closed car but those Centerdoors are just fantastic and your is amazing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Don, You do such great work. Thank you for taking your time to share it with the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Nice job
Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

You must not be in Michigan any more Don. February?? No snow??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:53 am:

I always did like the center-door sedans! Yours is one of the prettiest ones I have seen. I wish I still had mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Looks fantastic Don. They are my favorite closed car body style

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Looks excellent Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Looks great Don can't wait to get a ride in it this summer. You sure are FAST at Restoration/Rebuild !!! It would be neat to show a before and after picture. If you need a hand with getting it run right give me a call. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:54 am:

Thanks guys, Joe here ya go...2 years ago vs now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:12 am:

Don, I am in awe! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 06:26 am:

Dave, I appreciate that!

Joe, I cleaned the carb, cleaned the spark plugs, tuned the coils with the ECCT, changed the oil, repaired some leaks in the radiator, thrust bearings in the rear end and the booger didn't make a full rotation and fired right up. It runs great except for a exhaust manifold leak. I plan on getting a new manifold soon. High speed gear slips a bit so I may have to adjust the 3 fingers but so far its coming alive nicely. 20 mph in this thing feels like 180...tooo funny !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Good morning Don, sounds like you are making good progress. I was interested to find out you have an ECCT coil checker, I was thinking about ordering one myself.

I have had good luck with the repo exhaust manifolds along with the brass rings that compress and conform to the mating surfaces. I want to see your center door.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Morning Joe, I love the ECCT !! Stop in and bring some coils...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Very pleasing to look at -- has a nice solid appearance about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Thank you Walter, amazingly enough other than the top wood the body wood was in very good condition. Its hard to believe that 95 years later it didn't need much in the way of replacement. I lucked out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

All dressed up for a drive in her flowers and lace!
She's a pretty one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Thanks David, she's ready for the roll~ I had one friend say it looked like a funeral car. The other said it was a wedding limo....so I consider them both right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Gotta love the 65 - 70 degree February days here in Michigan. I had both the T and the Packard out this long weekend, very enjoyable. Supposed to be snowing and 30s again by Friday though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Wow, you sure started out with a nice condition car. Amazing how one can be around this long and still be so straight. Must have been a low mileage car. Looks wonderful now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Fantastic Don ! Joseph where did you find the repro manifold ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Thank you David, Mike I just ordered a new exhaust manifold from Bob's. Should have it in a day or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Whos Bobs Don ? Not automobilia ? Thats buick stuff...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Mike, re: repo manifold. I got mine through Snyders"
but I think all the vendors carry them. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Mike, its http://bobsantiqueautoparts.com/ he's a good guy to do business with!! Ships fast and his prices are spot on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Great ! Tx for the info .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:55 am:

After a short drive it was apparent that the high gear was slipping. The magneto was not up too par either. So its time for a complete engine rebuild. "runs and drives" doesn't necessarily mean you won't have to go thru the entire mechanics. Also a good time to bore and slap some aluminum pistons, new valves, turbo 400 clutch, kevlors ..the works. Fun time in Centerdoor land !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:17 am:

That car is just beautiful!!! Nice work. I'm jealous!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Don't be jealous Marty...be kind and come up here and help clean parts..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:56 am:

So the body shop turns into the engine shop hey Don? Probably worth doing it now, looks like spring will be a while yet. Did the exhaust manifold stop the miss sound, or was it still there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Hey JD, the exhaust was severely warped but a new one took care of that. Just too much slippage in high gear. So I decided to rebuild the engine and tranny and put some kevlors, jack rabbit clutch and a fresh magneto to boot. Hopefully it will be a good dependable driver when done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Your Centerdoor looks wonderful. It doesn't seem that long since you bought it. Great work. I was hoping to but a cennterdoor body when yours popped up for sale so it really caught my attention. Although I am in a "patina" stage of my hobby now, I certainly admire what you have done.
I hope you enjoy many years and many miles with it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Hedges on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Hello Don,who done the interrior it looks grea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Thanks Richard kind words are always a good thing !!

Jack, its not as nice as yours ! But thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Don you're quality of workmanship is amazing and your speed of fixing absolutely everything is absolutely stunning do you ever sleep :-) :-) :-)

Norrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Norrie, not much at night but I take one mean nap in the middle of the day !! (like right now) zzzzzz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Enjoy your afternoon nap

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:56 am:

Well after a short drive it was discovered that the high gear was slipping. So out came the engine and transmission. It turned out to be a weak clutch spring. But, I was talked in to going thru the entire engine and transmission. It just made sense at this point. Although we found there wasn't much wear at all. The mag was weak and needed attention and coil ring replaced. This past weekend I got a lesson on pouring Babbitt which was very interesting and actually fun. The ole centerdoor will be fresh from the ground up when its all said and done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Jack Hedges, I did the interior myself. Denny Newman from Clio had just finished a '19 Centerdoor and he had come up with a very easy way to install the headliner. I took the drive to his place and he filled me in. That Newman guy is one knowledgeable character when it comes to anything Model T. Good friend also !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration