Model T battery ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T battery ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Willard hard rubber battery case measures 7-1/4" x 10-1/4" x 8" high, metal bales are 1" above the case. Is this Model T size ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Rich, the experts must be at a swap meet. It is a cool looking box. One vendor describes the metal box that holds the battery as being "Original Style Battery Box & Lid 9-1/2" High X 7-1/2" Wide X 9" Long. Yours looks to be too long for that. Earlier than '19 could use any size.
Do you know what vintage it is?
That number isn't a zip code is it? :-) :-) :-)
I snagged this from the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Hi Rich, yes, it's 10-1/4" long, so big for a T. I don't know about its age, the case logo is different from the 20's ad you posted and the case is also a bit different. I thought I read somewhere that Willard supplied batteries to Ford -?

Also, some time back I was told there are outfits that will rebuild a tar-top battery if you have a sound case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Willard supplied batteries to the military for the WWII jeep. It is a group 2 dimension that is needed, don't know if that fits your case or not. I don't know about rebuilding your case into a new battery, but I have seen some companies that repo the battery case and put a new Optima battery inside. $400 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

There was a guy here on the north highway that was rebuilding batteries. He offered to build a ford script hard rubber case for me 40 years ago. I don't see him listed now. Maybe he retired or worse.

This radio battery might be a similar vintage.

Fun to think about.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:03 am:

If it will fit in a Model T battery box, then it is correct. The handles help support the lid on the battery box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:20 am:

My namesake battery. Still enjoying the patent rights! LOL

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration