Rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

I have seen several threads recently about rebuilding the rear axle. I'm still fairly new to T's, and I was wondering what are some signs that the rear end needs a rebuild?

Thanks,

Luke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Luke, I think the short answer here is if you are a new owner and don't know if its been rebuilt, then it needs to come out to make sure it has new thrust washers and everything looks good inside. Safety first in this situation because of loss of braking if something fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Luke, I'm new too.

My '24 has been in a barn since '69. I may take the car for a couple low speed laps around the neighborhood once I get it running again, but right after that, I'm pulling the axle apart to inspect it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I have driven my 26 for miles but after the last few months of posts about the rear axle I am getting mine built this summer. I don't need to ruin what parts I have. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Sounds like I have some work to do then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Luke, I've owned three Model T's in the last few years. With each one of them I felt much more comfortable after tearing down the rearends and doing whatever it took to put them in "tip-top" shape. And while rebuilding there was a lot of emphasis put on the importance of replacing the thrust washers. There's some comforting knowing you've done the best you can with what you've got and putting yourself in the safest position you're able too. Inadequate thrust washers are a safety issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

There are quite a few things that can happen with a poorly maintained, and or old never-rebuilt, rear axle. The worst is when the pinion gear becomes disengaged with the ring gear for one reason or another. The result is what John said....loss of braking. I just finished rebuilding mine, and to tell you the truth, I found it enjoyable for the most part. The degreasing was the worst part. Keep us posted

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Get some kerosene at your home store to dilute the remarkably sticky 'Babbit sauce' that comes out of a bad differential. Watch the Steve Jelf video on youtube for how to remove and rebuild. Read the MTFCA manual for the step by step.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration