STUBBORN REAR WHEEL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: STUBBORN REAR WHEEL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I have beat the s#%$t out of a rear wheel removal tool to the point that I have destroyed the head and bent the bolt to the extent I feel it is useless. There has to be a way to remove a really stuck rear wheel. Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Did you put the nut back on the axle before you beat the crap out of it? Bet if you didn't the end of the axle is now mushroomed out. :-(
Put the wheel you are taking off back on the ground and jack the other wheel up off the ground. After checking your axle and placing the axle nut back on, turned over, flush with the end, re-install the wheel puller (after you fix it). Turn the bolt down good snug against the axle/nut. Give it a good sharp smack with a 5LB engineers hammer. It may take a few smacks but don't pound on it. You are trying to "SHOCK" it off.
Other way is to put the nut on loose, with cotter pin installed and drive around the block a few times. I have never had that work too well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

You can drive it around in circles and others have said it will pop loose. I had good luck with the puller. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:10 am:

One time that happened to me. Took the tool off and found that the nut was still in place, insuring no matter how hard I tried, that wheel was not coming off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Iíve got exactly the same problem. One wheel came of fairly easy with the puller, but the other one is giving me fits. I talked to our goto guy at the club meeting in Salt Lake yesterday and he said he would come and take a look at it. I told him that as soon as he comes into my garage, that wheel will probably jump right off of the axle, but thatís okay. Whatever it takes!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Thank you everybody. Mark's suggestion worked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Great! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Which of Mark's suggestions? smacking? Loose and driving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

I had one realy stuck on
Put the nut on loose drove the car in S line
Around the block came loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Stuck wheel on the ground with axle nut backwards flush with end of axle. Removal tool in place nut down tight. Other wheel off the ground. Smack sharply with 4lb BFH. Worked for me!! Thanks again Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

All my wheels are Stubborn and require special Stubborn-type spokes and
the special size tires to fit them. I am told Stubborn only made these for
one year and they are very rare.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration