Never knew this existed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Never knew this existed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 01:21 am:

An accessory i would have never thought of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-EKERN-EMERGENCY-AXLE-RARE-ACCESSORY-/252771 424302?hash=item3ada59d82e:g:tz4AAOSwr~lYo7y0&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 01:47 am:

I've seen period ads for stub axles like this. They were intended to allow a car with a broken axle to be fit with a standard wheel to allow towing back to a repair site.

They are pretty cool, this is the first one I've seen except for the drawings in advertisements.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:17 am:

Terry and John, I have one which is of the same design but a different manufacturer. I got it at the Swap Meet at the Centennial Tour in Richmond. It has a nice big bearing and the tapered axle stub to put your wheel back on so you can tow or move the vehicle around easily. Very handy to have on a trouble truck on tour when needed. I will be curious to see if the seller gets that kind of money for it. I could be coaxed to seel mine as I need parts for an engine rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:12 am:

I think it would be fairly simple to design and build something like that using a front spindle as the main piece. Make a cradle to hold the backing plate, and some means to lock it in place? Every club could have one for their trouble trailer.

Then again. I have been on several tours and endurance runs where someone broke an axle. Usually, four or five good strong guys pick up the low corner and carry it while a couple other people push the car. We loaded several cars onto trailers that way. And once, at a half mile dirt track race, one of the race cars came to rest about 300 yards from the pit area. Five of us just grabbed the car and away we went. Parked it ready and waiting to be repaired. Two hours later, he was running time trials.

Ah! FUN memories!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:24 am:

David Baker had this one at Chickasha four years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Here's the link to the 2010 accessory of the day thread I posted on three different ones of these all by the same company.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/123205.html?1293403023

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:38 am:

a

b

c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I have one of these and it works really well. I bring it on every tour we go on, just in case.

The only thing is, it only works on 1925 and earlier T's with the cast iron backing plate. It will not work on '26 & '27 &'s since they only have a tin backing plate, and it will not work on TT's either.

In the link that Jay posted above, the two lower ones pictured will work on the '26 & '27 T's. If I'm not mistaken, one of those will work on all T cars.

Is that correct, Jay?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I've got one hanging on the wall of the shop.Hopefully I never need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:57 am:

Keith, I don't think a TT will ever need one! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 06:06 am:

I saw one of these at a sale of on old Ford garage not far from here about fifteen years ago. It was in a pile of scrap that was going to a junk dealer, but I couldn't find out who it was before I had to leave. :-( I did get enough NOS Ford script TT rear spring leaves for a set though. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration