Old Photo - Early Two Seater on Woodward, Detroit - 1905

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Early Two Seater on Woodward, Detroit - 1905
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:17 am:

A pretty good view of an early car on Woodward in 1905. I'm sure you guys can tell us what it is.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/21726?size=_original#caption

A little fuzzy but I am curious if there is enough detail to identify. I can't remember how to crop the photo and post it.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:48 am:

How about this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:00 am:

"Progress."

Progress

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Don't get me wrong, Detroit has come a long way since I was born in 1975... you didn't used to see people out on the streets like that. It's just the Shorpy picture looks so, I don't know, "pristine", while the modern one looks so 'sterile'... Sorry for rambling, but I really wish I was able to see Detroit in it's heyday. But thankful also to be here for it's rebirth too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:03 am:

could it be maxwell ??? or cad with up turned frt axle and long frt hubs. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:21 am:

I'm doubting the photo was 1905 because the car looks like a 1908 Cadillac model S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:44 am:

The Coleman Young municipal building? I thought he was going to open a Mexican restaurant called
"Nacho Daddy" ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Les seems to have it. So much for the "photo" date 1905!

1908 Cadillac Model S it is,

Oh well, just a Caddy...

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:48 am:

An awesome looking Cadillac it is!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Plymouth, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Sorry Jason that is the wrong area of Woodward and the building with the awnings on the corner is still there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3352641,-83.0497198,3a,59.7y,103.04h,94.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg1t25W6WvzMF u2qdKaiZAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Tony-

They must have renumbered the street at some point. I looked it up as 250 Woodward (as on the building) and got the view above. I must admit, I like yours better, but the numbers are in the 1440's... the EEZ shoe store is 1447?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Plymouth, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Yes that was the 'old' system. The addresses changed about the early 20s.

More info here

http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/RenumInfo.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Plymouth, Mi on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Almost all the streets were renumbered on 1921. more info here

http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/RenumInfo.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Good info to know, Tony! Thanks for the link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Here's a later photo from about 1910 on Shorpy. The 1868 building is in the left distance. The tall building with the curved oriel in the further distance is the Wright-Kay Building.

Woodward 1910

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration