How much is enough grease

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How much is enough grease
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:28 am:

I have no idea when the last time my 26 Roadster had been greased. How would you know or how much grease would you use in the grease cups? Fill them up and screw them down 2-3 times?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Gerald

Depends on the location, for the U-joint, that largest grease cup should be filled and down enough times to have grease ooze out of the ball on the torque tube. Another cup is like that, at the steering bracket.

The rear axle cups for the outer bearings need copious lube too. Placing about 3 cups turned should be OK for a Hyatt bearing that was inspected cleaned and packed in the last 2 years or so.

Adding this much each 500 miles is good for those important bearings.

Ford Lube chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Gerald, like Dan just said, the big grease cup for the universal ball needs LOTS of grease. I always suggest buying the large grease cup with the zerk inside it (I think Langs is about the only place that has it, maybe others do) and if you peek inside the hole before mounting it and no doubt see that it looks "empty", I suggest a good 30-50 pumps with a grease gun would suffice. This ball is a pretty big cavity even with the universal in it. And if you want to stay "pure", just put the old original one back on. I have these on all my cars. The intermittent lube jobs then only require around 20 or so pumps. A bit oozes out the ball and I quit. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:46 am:

I don't even bother with trying to hide the zerk on the U-joint housing, no one is going to see it unless the floor boards are out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:56 am:

This grease lubricates those moving parts and it also helps keep the engine oil from running down the drive shaft to the rear axle and the rear axle lube from leaking out the ends of the axle.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Thanks for the info. Kind of what I was thinking but thought I better ask.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration