Floorboard Specs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Floorboard Specs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:20 am:

The floorboards in my '24 Touring are "farm-made" and are pretty crude.

So....I'm going to make some new ones.

What thickness is best?

It seems a good grade of plywood would work, but I'd consider using a good hardwood if that would be more ideal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Measure how deep the lip is on the heel board, that will tell you how thick. The wood should sit flat in the rabbit all around the edges. Depending on what wood you have on hand, I would go with the hard wood. The plywood can have a lot of spring when you step on it.
Right now the main board on mine is plywood. I had to do a quick replacement and used what I had on hand. Because I have a home built body the starter button only stood a little above the floor anyway. The piece I used is too thick and have a devil of a time pressing down the starter pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Mark they make an extension for the starter button. I use one because it makes it stand tall enough that I don't accidently step on it. My heel hits it first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

It has one on it now but I think it may stick up too high if I added a 2ed ext. I thought about doing that and may still do it anyway. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Thanks. I'll be making them out of hardwood and will measure the height of the lip as suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Original in my '24 measure 5/8" thick, layer hardboards, sorta like plywood but not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:00 am:

I found somewhere that the originals were Ash. No local lumber shops have it - so I went to bairdbrothers.com (Baird Brothers Fine Hardwoods) and ordered 3 foot pieces of varying widths to match the broken up old ones I had. I was hesitant to order wood over the internet sight unseen - but wow - it was beautiful - not cheep tho! - about 150 - oak was that much at HomeDepot - so I bit the bullet. Be careful of the widths - get "standard widths" or they charge a 40 dollar cutting fee. Mine came out very nice....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:02 am:

I just looked back at my receipt - it was $108- so cheaper than oak at HomeDepot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Don,

John Regan of "Fun Projects" has a nice drawing of the 3rd floorboard. The thickness he shows is 9/16 inch and is shown on the vertical view on the right side of the drawing. The drawing is located on his site at: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/T1404B.pdf

Thank you John for making that available. I suspect that fits a 1915-1925 model year body. But if you read this, please confirm that is correct or not.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

(Message edited by Hap_tucker on February 20, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Trying to add the link so it works to John's drawing: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/T1404B.pdf

Respectfully added,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

While we're discussing floor-boards, are there drawings of the other two ?

FWIW, the rebate in the body of my '13 roadster is 5/8", so I guess the floorboard should be that thick.

I'm pretty sure these were re-made (of oak) when the car was restored two owners ago . . . my question is about the lower toe-board - the pedal slots seem to have been cut on a table saw, the angle of the saw radius under-cut the slots to the point the board is weak, and with use, has broken between the pedals - the board irons are keeping it together, but it needs replacing, because it has too much flex being broken.

I'd hazard that the original boards had the slots cut square to the board. I should post a picture to show what I mean ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Many "factory" floorboards sold today appear to be haphazardly made. I looked at a set at a "major parts supplier" near me some years back and even the counter person thought they looked like "junk."
A few folks build them to the specs, and some of us just make them to fit our car(s). They really aren't that hard to make with a few power woodworking tools and a little creativity. Without looking at the plans, I would say you are correct about the slots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

If you wish to buy ready made correct floorboards, contact Jon Anderson, RV's brother.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration