Help me ID my frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help me ID my frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Good Sunday, all!

I picked this frame up somewhere around 17 years ago. It came from Texas... I paid $25 for it, and $80 more to have it shipped to Michigan. ;)

At any rate, I never thought about finding out what year the car was until recently.

All I can find on the drivers side rail are the numbers " 2 7 3". It's rusty there, so there may be more, but that's all that's visible.

I thought this was a 15-23 frame, is that correct?

Eventually, I hope to build it into a speedster. I'm hoping to start gathering parts for it shortly.

Thanks for your help in advance!

jk
frame 1Frame 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

1921-25,from whatl can see.lf it has holes for the early rb brackets too,21-3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Where would those be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Right on the side of the frame where the steel running board brackets are.3 rivet holes.If you have only 2 rivets for the brake raatchet insted of four,its a late '25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

This frame,if reasonably straight,and front cross member not all pounded down,great speedster frame.Do you work at the FOMOCO warranty center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Here's a couple of side shots... Stupid Iphone turns them sideways and I can't edit them with the Chromebook. Grr.
Frame 3Frame 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

No, I work at the ATNPC, prototype transmissions.

It sits really straight on the concrete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

No telling what those numbers indicate. Serial numbers that would tell the date weren't stamped on frames until the 1926 model year, and this isn't a 1926 or 1927 frame. The hand brake quadrant can narrow it down a bit. A 1925 or later quadrant has two rivets; 1924 and earlier has four.

The Ford logo stamped on the front cross member began about March 19, 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Again,from what l can see,the front crossmember looks very good.Other than holes that are either there or not,frames can interchange from 09-27.Notice l said can,not should.lf yku took an early brass car to you friendly Ford Dealer in,say,21-5,and said put a new frame under it,this would be the new frame you got.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

The reason l bring up the front ceossmember issue is because rhis frame was probably at one tim under a farm wagon.The xlue is the shinbuster running board vracket sawed off.Most wagin frames have been all twisted to hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

I think it might be time for new bifocals.Apparently can't see ro spell.The reason l asked what you did for Ford,is l was a dealer in the early '90's.Everything is different now.The warranty center was at Dearborn.Dont kbow where it is now.Always wanted ro meet one of those superman mechinics that determined the warranty reimbursement manuals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Jim, I've watched time studies... it's quite different doing a job with brand new parts and all the tools handy than it is 'in the real world'. ;)

Steve, where is the hand brake quadrant on the frame? I'll go check the front crossmember for the logo too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

It's hard to see, but the front crossmember is stamped!

Frame 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Jason,there should be a stamped steel thing with teeth on the bottom side,on the outside of the left framerail.This is how you set thd parking brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

OK, so that's missing. I'll have to get one of those... along with about 1000000 other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Jason, In your sideways IPhone picture of the close up of the side of the frame rail just to the back of the body mount bracket there are the two front holes for the four hole hand brake quadrant. The frame has the channel steel running board brackets and doesn't show having drilled holes for the rivets of the earlier forged brackets. From the pictures the frame most likely came from a calendar year 1923 or 1924 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:11 am:

Ah ha! Thanks for the tip, Kevin. And Steve and Jim too.

I have a closed car cowl from roughly the same era, but I think this frame is going to get built into a speedster.

Thanks again everyone!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration