Removing flywheel cap screws help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Removing flywheel cap screws help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

I need to remove the four flywheel cap screws. Every wrench or socket that I try to use seems to provide a poor fit and I cannot grip the head of the bolt. Any suggestions on how to remove these four screws so I can remove the magneto and transmission from the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

The Snap on socket might do the trick. Or try a socket with a universal joint.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

I have used the 3/8 drive craftsman for years, have broke a few sockets and ratchets but they are thin walled six points and they do the job , hope this helps, the nice part they are guaranteed when you break them!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Use the Ford wrench (5Z-210) or make your own. The head size is 11/16".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

I have an old Montgomery Wards 1/2" drive socket set that I bought at a pawn shop in the late 1970's. The 11/16" socket combined with the breaker bar fits perfectly on the Model T flywheel bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

I ground the edges off an 11/16 inch socket so that it would fit and used a breaker bar. Success. All four of the bolts are removed. It appears that there are two dowels that need to be removed.. I am not sure which direction to drive them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

The dowels stay in the flywheel. Once the bolts are out the transmission assembly will come off. I pull it off by hand if the assembly is horizontal; others prefer to have the assembly mounted nose down on an engine stand and use a come-along mounted overhead. The tranny assembly tips the scales at a few nicks shy of 100 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

I figured it out. With the transmission facing up I hit the dowel pins and they separated the mag from the flywheel. Success. Thanks for all of your advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

"I hit the dowel pins and they separated the mag from the flywheel" I hope you mean flywheel from crank shaft? You shouldn't have to hit anything, a little rocking back and forth usually gets it loose to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Below are some pics from my adventure with removing the flywheel today. Thanks again to the folks above who were so quick with advice.

Below is the socket I ground a bit to fit over the flywheel cap screw/bolt heads.
Socket

Next are pics of the flywheel with one of the dowel pins still in place (definitely needs a new ring gear), the mag (definitely needs a rebuild), and a pic of where the mag attaches to the motor (including a wasp nest). There were lots and lots of metal shavings on the magnets.

Flywheel

Flywheel with pin

Magneto

Magneto 2

Magneto 3

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration