Thermostats

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thermostats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

I see that there are thermostats now available for the Model T. I was just curious what opinions does any one have of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

My opinion is that thermostats and Model T's do not mix. Just something to cause problems better left for cars that need them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

More junk that you don't need. Save your money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I think the answers you get will fall into two camps. One will be that they're a useful "upgrade", and will include theories on why. The other will assert that they're superfluous, a useless expense, possibly counterproductive. Until I see convincing evidence to change my mind, I'm camping with the second bunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

When the weather gets warmer and I can get my cooling system de-gunkified, my intent was to remove the water pump and return to the way Henry intended it to be. I was wondering why I'd want to create another blockage with a thermostat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Tom
With a good radiator(more later) and unobstructed water flow the original thermo-syphon system works well so long as you understand its quirks.
If your Model T has a waterpump installed it was placed there to solve a problem. Sometimes thermostats are installed at the same time. Thermostats will allow for getting the engine up to normal operating temperature faster, but they have a tendency to restrict water flow. That problem was most likely an original Ford radiator that has long since ceased to be a heat exchanger and a water pump is only a patch up solution. Original radiators have tubes and fins that are no longer contiguous and it will not dissipate heat as originally intended. No matter how much you spend to "degunk" it. The best Model T advice I have ever been given is buy a new radiator, install it and amortize the expense across ten years of trouble free (not overheating) time having fun with your family and driving your Model T. That will cost you about $75 a year and it will be well worth it.
Just my view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Ron, thanks for the advice. I don't believe my radiator is the original as it is a flat tube, but either way it is gunked. Also I removed the outlet connection from the engine and it fell in 2 pieces. I believe an owner before my father bought the car knew it was cracked as there was enough chalk behind the connector as to block half the hole in order to stop the leak. Hence the need for the water pump that was on the car when my father acquired it. I'm hoping to be able to save the radiator, degunk the engine's water jacket. Will be placing an order with Lang's tomorrow to get all the pieces I need to return the cooling system to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Here's a page on cooling troubles. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html.

The bottom line is that sooner or later all these radiators have to be replaced or recored. After ninety or more years, now is later for a great many of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Thanks for the link Steve. Trust me if I need to replace the radiator I will, but the outside of the radiator is in such good condition I just can't believe it's anywhere near as old as the car. Besides looking inside it's not the round or even the square tubes, it's a flat tube which I've been told is the best to get if your replacing an original radiator. This leads me to believe a previous owner has already done this step, unfortunately no one thought to flush it regularly to maintain it. I'm hopeful it can be cleaned and saved, at least it's worth the attempt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:13 am:

The radiator leaked badly and it was a shame because it looked really good; beautiful fins. I bought a Brassworks flat tube radiator. I also cleaned the cooling passages very well.

With the new radiator the engine ran cool and would never reach Normal Operating Temperature. I installed a thermostat and the engine then warmed as it should. It worked for me. Your milage may vary.

"What works for one marriage may not work for another marriage." You do what works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:47 am:

I have one. Can't say that I really notice any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:01 am:

I've been running a thermostat in my daily driver for years. Works very well to allow the car to warm up much quicker in sub-freezing weather. Seems to have no ill effect in the summer. I have both a temp gauge on the upper head outlet and a moto-meter on the radiator so I can keep an eye on what is happening. I have a good radiator and don't run a water pump (nor fan).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 06:53 am:

I have a good flat tube radiator and newer rebuilt engine (if that makes any difference?). On anything but warm mid-summer mornings, my car would never hit operating temp. Even with a 160 degree thermostat, the engine is slow to reach operating temp. Even on the hottest days (which for around here is the low 90's, and there's maybe 5 of those all summer), it doesn't overheat. If I lived in warmer climates I probably wouldn't bother with a thermostat. But up here it does help me get the engine warmed up quicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:51 am:

First off, I don't care to have a motometer on my T. Without a motometer, I have no idea how long it takes to get up to operating temperature. So there's one less thing to worry about. "How do you know if it's running hot?" you might ask. Well, ever since I got a new radiator, that hasn't been a problem, but before I did, if nothing else, I could see steam coming out around the cap, but usually I noticed it in the running of the car before that.

For those that feel they need a water pump, I could see using a thermostat (Up until they figure out the root cause of their problem and fix it. Bergs sells them. :-)). For those who choose to use the system as originally intended, I would say do NOT use a thermostat. The thermosyphon system acts as it's own thermostat in that the flow rate is a function of the difference in temperature between the engine and the radiator. When it's cold, both are at the same temperature and no flow occurs. As it begins to warm up, flow begins to occur, and increases as necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:26 am:

I re-read Tom's original question and it seems that I only half answered it. My opinion is that thermostats seem to work fine in my T, but I didn't give my opinion as to whether they are really needed. I think that if you only casually drive your T, there is no real compelling reason to have a thermostat. In this case my line of thinking would pretty much correspond to Hal's. If you drive your T lots, including in winter time, and your cooling system is up to snuff, then perhaps a thermostat would be useful, but not required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I have a thermostat in my snowmobile. No water pump, no engine pans not much of a hood, cold air temperatures when running. I would like to here from others if I should leave it in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Will engine pans change the air flow around the engine and the cooling? I believe so.

Will a thermostat change the water flow thru the radiator and the cooling? I believe so.

Will a water pump change the flow of water thru the engine and radiator? I believe so

Will engine controls effect the heat generated by the engine? I believe so.

Will bands and the heat generated by the transmission add heat to the engine? I believe so

Will the type of driving effect the engine cooling? I believe so.

What is the most effective combination? Now that I have no idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Dean, Leave it in and go play. Sounds like you folks might actually be having snow again this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Does anybody have any idea how many different T water pumps were on the market during the T production days. I have 6 different ones and suspect that just a small representation. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Kevin, I heard on Friday we are going to get 2 inches of rain or 20 inches of snow. The antique snowmobile run last Saturday was canceled because of 55 degree weather and NO snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

I have found a piece of cardboard adjusted for variations in temperature to be most effective for winter driving and quick warm ups. It doesn't block water flow and is easily removed for summer driving!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration