Should the Wheel Turn with the Bands Removed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Should the Wheel Turn with the Bands Removed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

I pulled the hogshead on my '24 today and removed the bands.

With the hogshead off, when I slowly hand crank the car, it's making the rear wheels turn.

I'm wondering why this would be the case....since there are no bands.

Is something wrong (like a weak clutch spring) with the transmission?

Or...is the hogshead and handbrake activated cutch necessary for the car to be in neutral?

The clutch band liners were in poor condition and one of them had actually pulled away from the band.

I'm very pleased with the underside of the car. There's zero cancer (rust-through) and some of the panels even have a good amount of what is probably original black paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

That's normal Don, with everything apart its in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Great news....thanks John. I was about to make plans to pull the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Yes that high gear un less the hand brake holding the high speed clutch in nuertal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Guess its just the angle of your photo.

But looks like the solder button (mag. terminal contact) for the field coil ring is offset! Like the engine is twisted on its side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

When the bands are in, they have no effect on the drive train until you step on a pedal to compress one of them. Stepping on the brake pedal compresses the band on the brake drum to stop the drive train from turning. Stepping on the low pedal stops the low drum and makes the drive train turn slower. Stepping on the reverse pedal stops the reverse drum and makes the drive train turn backwards. With all drums allowed to turn freely, the transmission is in direct drive (or neutral if the handle is pulled back). But even in neutral there's enough drag in the clutch to turn the wheels unless the parking brake is on. That's why a T starting up with cold oil can pin you against the wall even if it's in neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

In other words Don, the bands only control low, brake and reverse. High gear is a different clutch, located inside of the brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Great information....exactly what I was needing to learn.

Many thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

It's the angle of the photo Dan.

I can see what you mean though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration