Trying to salvage a hood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trying to salvage a hood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:43 am:

[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/0220170740_zps1ib9zmal.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/0220170740_zps1ib9zmal.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I'm going to try to fix this hood. It was originally a low hood that someone modified into a high hood by cutting the sides off at the top and extending them by riveting on extensions with rivets made from nails.I need piano hinges that can be welded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:11 am:

You need a new hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:22 am:

If you're going for the Beverly Hillbillies/Grapes of Wrath look you can go ahead and cobble it up with hinges from the local hardware store. Otherwise, get a real high hood. There's plenty of other stuff to eat up your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:15 am:

The plan was to make it back into a low hood (1921). A new hood is not in the budget. I have tried to find and buy a better hood with no luck.
This brings up a point... Some of us have no business trying to restore or maintain a model t, or any other antique vehicle. Reality is not always pleasant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:33 am:

If it were mine and I desperately wanted to keep it, I think I would remove the extensions and rivet on piano hinges. A good hardware store should carry the hinges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Tommy
I have seen piano hinge for sale at Home Depot and similar. The kind without holes only seems to be available at industrial suppliers. I presume your plan is to "butt joint " it in place, rather than use a lap joint?
I'm going to propose a variation of design; go with the lap joint and add a trim strip on the outside to cover the fasteners. If you can do a nice job on the trim strip, you could potentially make everyone else jealous!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Tommy,
Do you live anywhere where old car swap meets happen? Low hoods show up frequently--in various forms of condition.
I understand your budget. When I bought Barney, it was with a settlement I got from the city for not giving me my due pay increases, and I also bought what I thought I would need for the restoration, as I suspected the city was about to cancel my job in a 'budget cutting" move. Turns out, I was right. Now I just need to find the time to do the work, MOST of the parts are on hand. Meantime things like self-employment, leaking roofs and unfinished living rooms occupy my time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Tommy, I see by google maps you are not far from Charlotte. They have a big swap meet there at the speedway April 6-9 Not a lot of T stuff but still fun to go to. you may just find what you seek there. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Yes I go to the AutoFair most every year. It's in Concord NC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

For me, I would just cut a strip of tin or re-use that one at the desired height. If I was cutting tin I cut the strips that act as the hinge and roll them around a pencil or something. Then just weld them on or (or rivet them and hide the rivets)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Luray VA swap PRE WAR meet. There will be some there. I sold 2 or 3 at Hershey. Will look may have another one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Tommy, are your two top panels useable as is. If so I may have a couple good side panels. Let me know if you need all four panels or just the two side panels. Then Ill look and see what I have ... have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

As far as I know, you can't mix and match high and low panels, top or sides. If a high radiator top panel is re-bent to match the narrower low firewall, the hinge line will be lowered at the rear, skewing any side panel forward. The reverse is the case if you go low to high.

the side panels are different heights.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:20 am:

One of the local guys has a similar problem and came up with a simple cost effective solution. Don't bother with the sides! He just runs the hood tops and a strap to hold it on. This way folks can see the model T motor as he cruises along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:16 am:

Allan, I believe you are correct about "mixing" low and high hood parts not working. But If Im reading his first post correctly, he has a low hood converted to a high hood side panels. So his top panels should be low hood top panels. And if they are OK, all he really needs is a pair of useable low side panels. Tommy, you said "reality is not always pleasant" You are probably correct on that. But it does not mean you can not work on these wonderful old cars. My first model T was built from the scrap parts I could afford or just find the things no one else would use. . My budget was almost ZERO dollars. I still look back on that project as one of my most rewarding and fun to do projects. It actually turned out to be a nice car and a good runner. So just hang in there and as an old hippie would say "just keep on, keeping on". It will all come together. Ill try and look tomorrow and see what I have ... I think we can get you fixed up ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Fixin' to be someone else's problem. See my ad in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Tommy,
You're going to abandon the T just because you don't have hood right now? Don't get so discouraged, things might look bleak now, but next week they'll probably look much better.
Heck, someone here might even give you a hood.
I would if I had one and you were closer.
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

C'mon Tommy don't do that. I think I've got a decent low hood in the garage. You can have it for free, (if I can find it). Please don't give it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I tried to get a hood to you but it was so hard to reach you ... something odd with our connections. If you could see what I started with on my first T you would realize you have a pretty easy project and a great distraction from other stresses.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration