How to paint a rear wheel hub in between the spokes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to paint a rear wheel hub in between the spokes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Hi, is there a good/easy way of getting the paint onto the rear wheel hub in between the spokes? Spokes are varnished, hub is/was/going to be black. I've used paint stripper so a little paint is still hanging on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Lots of masking tape.Good,yes,easy ,who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

If you are talking about the rear break drum, I take that off and paint it separately then reinstall it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

@Dean that sounds like a good plan but the wood spokes won't go sproiinng on me if I take the brake drum off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Ignacio, if you have old wheels the spokes have been in that position for a 100 years. I think they will stay there as long as you do not beat on them. I have done it many times on new wheels. Has any body had them fly apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Nope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Can you take both sides of the hub off temporarily without trouble? I have a better hub face that I would like to use but I would have to take the hub face and bolts completely out to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Yes, I painted the rim and spokes with drum and outer flange off. Painted the drum off like I said earlier. Put every thing back together then painted the outer flange and outer hub last. That way you do not mess the paint up tightening the bolts. My wheels were 14 wood fellow built by George Garrigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

You should support the spokes close to the hub if you need to pound the hub out of the wheel. That way the spokes will stay in place. Clean the hub, repaint it, and reinstall it. Again, support the spokes when you put the hub back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

What is a good way of supporting the spokes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Leave the hub in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

2 x 4's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Removing the six nuts on the inside of the brake drum is enough for taking the brake drum off. And that should be enough to get access for cleaning and painting the wheel -any more disassembly tends to be a major trouble without much gain, if you don't really need to replace the hub or the spokes.

The bolts are staked, so removing the nuts without any grinding first may twist off the bolts. They're available new.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration