TT brake accesory brake question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT brake accesory brake question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I am generally much more of a lurker than a poster, but having bought a 25' TT last November I suspect I will have more questions.
I have been reading some of the older posts regarding accessory brakes. From what I have gathered the only current option for TT brakes are the Rocky mt brakes?
My intent is to redo the roof like a passenger express body/depot hack with seats in the back so that the entire family can ride at once. My wife's Model A sedan is beginning to get tight with my wife and our four daughters and me all crammed in and the kids are only getting bigger.

The redone roof will be like a TT version of Craig Sutton's T or:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Sure stop disc brakes are available and I think necessary if you are going to haul lots of people around on those longitudinal benches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I can't find any TT version of the Sure stop disc brakes?
http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T2565-SS&Category_Code=Safety

There is a version of the Rocky Mountain brakes made for the TT, and they're useful if you have any accessory transmission that can get out of gear, thus disabling the ordinary transmission brake: https://www.modeltford.com/item/RMB3.aspx

If you haven't got any accessory transmission and if you're not driving much in mountainous terrain, then consider that the standard emergency brake on a TT has rather big drums and lined shoes, so if you keep them in good order and if you're trained to grab the handle in an emergency, then you'll probably be able to stop the TT even if the ordinary transmission brake fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Tom makes a good point. I think if I were doing what you have planned I'd also research some period brakes choices. As discussed on this forum many times, the new Rockies are fine for forward braking but not very good if backing. Period Rockies are better, as are Bennetts and some of the others.

If you're going to soup up the engine, use a high speed rear end and install an aux transmission with overdrive I'd consider the disc brakes imperative for family safety. If you plan a stock engine, low speed rear end and no overdrive then period auxiliary brakes will probably work just fine.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Thank you for you input,
I do not currently have a aux trans, but plan on getting a cast Iron Warford once the initial costs of getting the truck roadworthy are out of the way. (Warford, just because there is already one in a doodlebug I have, might as well stick with the same parts)
While I do not live in big mountains it is downhill in every direction from my house, dropping off ~300 feet in 2 miles or so down into Saratoga. The rear bearing cap has not been pulled yet, but driving in the yard I suspect that the rear is the 5:1 ratio w/ruckstell.

I have see comments about rolling backwards, it seems as though this should not be a significant issue if the trans brake is adjusted to work properly with the aux brakes? I was under the impression that the disk brakes were only for T rears not TT, is there a kit I am not aware of? I am definitely less concerned about authenticity than safety with the kids in the back even if the truck will not have much weight on board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Your current cab looks very nice - I would be hesitant about to modify it, especially if it's original.
As for accessory brakes, try pulling off your rear wheels and adjust/tinker with the existing brakes. If the linings are good and you set the linkage from the brake lever; you should almost be able to lay a skid mark on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

The discs are made for TT's. Just ask or order the TT kit. I have a set on my TT, so I know they provide them. They will require your pedal, but will turn it around quickly. Take you time spacing the calipers as they don't float and I am not sure how the reservoir will work with your floor. You will have options. I am not pushing these if you want to keep it all period correct, but they are discs and work as we know discs do. All in what you want to do I guess and to a non T person most won't notice. I have a livingood under the TT and I am lucky if a quarter of the people that see it even know it shouldn't be there. Fun stuff anyway. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

In the instructions -PAGE 8- there is reference to a one ton truck and the Sure-Stop Brakes which tells me they are available. Send them an email. Phone calls don't always work because they work other jobs during the day.

Second paragraph http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/manuals/T2565-LDWood.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Yep, like john indicated, they are available. bought mine a year ago. Langs will order for you if you ask but why not just call texast. you'll get new drums with the kit as rotors arrive stitch welded to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

maybe this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Robert, I will remove the roof as one piece and put it in the attic for the future, it looks better than it is, when the truck was idleing the other day the fan was making a dust storm as powdered wood blew out of roof!

John, Tim, thanks for the confirmation of the ton kit. I am not too worried about period correct everything can be un-done and as you say most won't notice. I am sure the e-brake could lay rubber, but the disks or other aux brakes are good peace of mind. I once had to lock up our Model A's brakes and even with front brakes I was applying the e-brake some.(I bought cast iron drums after that) I feel that I would like to have good every day brakes and leave the parking brake for parking and emergencies.

Tim -Thanks for the picture, I do have all of the original wood and hardware from the bed for patterns, most of it looked ok on the outside but was so chewed I didn't even need a wrench or pry bar to take the bed apart. For the past 17 years or so the truck was in a metal building, so I am hoping all of the bugs are long dead.
I took a look at the Livingood axle in your profile picture. The offroader in me wants one of those in the worst way but I am not sure I could ever justify it unless I happened to find one in an old barn by chance.

This truck will get snowmobile (and some snow bird) parts for next winter. I have been lucky to come across the major parts here and there over the past few years.
The bed will be spaced up about 3" from stock to make sure the tracks will clear. I used a separate piece of wood so the bed can be dropped back to stock if someone desires to remove the roof and return the truck to the way it was found in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:37 am:

Zachary, Thanks for the last picture. Love the snowmobile parts. No need for livingood when you have that. Can cost the same if you have to buy straight up. You need a cardboard cutout of Fred Astaire and you are in business to haul the mail. Looks perfect. Enjoy TS

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration