Era repair shop-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Era repair shop-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Excellent. The wood floors and speed wrenches are great. I would love to have the display case at left, especially with the magneto and coil box. The Regulator (or similar) clock is nice. There is even a Maxwell torque tube on the floor.
I'm putting this on my list with a couple hundred others.
Thanks. You made my day.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:21 am:

The clock is what stood out to me. In this era of disposable crap, a clock that fancy in a shop would look so out of place. It looks awesome here though.

Thank you for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:24 am:

I love these old shop photos too. That kid looks mighty proud of his swanky new oxy-acetylene outfit - "HANDS OFF !!" do you suppose those are customers' names chalked on the batteries set to charging ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:25 am:

What is written under the word "Danger"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Second photo Guy leaning on oxy/acet torch bottles smoking what looks like a cigar and if that wasn't enough he is also in close proximity to charging batteries probably with the tops off....Geesh this guy had a lot of faith in his Guardian Angel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Dan B- I think it says "Hands Off"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:30 am:

love to get a better look at that calendar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:38 am:

One guy has had a headbolt come loose. Looks like it is about
to fall out of his mouth. Too much vibration and not enough torque,
I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

I was hoping you would see this and like it Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

I hope those guys didn't to use to the flapping of the flat belt air compressor! Its on the smaller picture on the far right hand side.
We take for granted how the early shops worked and what these guys did on a daily basis that was downright dangerous working around those open belt drive pieces of machinery. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Very very cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

First thing my eyes went to was that torque tube laying on the floor. Something in me is screaming, "Pick that thing up before you trip over it."

I once had an instructor in a human behavior class who claimed you can divide humanity into two distinct types. One type will see something like that tube and immediately move it before somebody trips over it. The other type will leave the tube right were it is and reliably step over it.

Funny thing is, you can't change either personality type. And the group that removes the hazard is very poor about dodging obstacles. The group that leaves the obstacle in place doesn't seem to notice the hazard but is quite good about stepping over it. Question is, are the "leave it there" folks born with superior bullet-dodging skills or do they develop that skill out of experience ? I do know that I am terrible about tripping over things that are left laying about.

One other observation: Nothing irritates the "step over it" people more than being told to remove the hazard. And nothing raises blood pressure among the "remove the hazard" group more than leaving it right where it is.

And the twain shall never meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Those are interesting observations Dick. I am the type who wanted to know what car it belonged to. I will give them credit for not having the housing halves and wheels where folks could trip over them. Also, it is laying down rather than standing up where it could fall over on someone's toes. Yes, they should have moved it to the side with the drive shafts.
It's fun what we see in these photos.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Given the rise of OSHA and the profusion of stupid warning labels on everything, I'd say the "picker uppers" have won. Maybe because the "stepper overs" have been consistently removed from the gene pool ?? (I am definitely in the "step over it" camp)

Back to the photo, the shop in that second photo was recently built from the look of the timber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:40 am:

it says "Danger Grandson" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Ed, If the Grandson is a greater danger than the battery acid and the acetylene, LOOK OUT.

As for the Hermann Rorschach calendar and poster, I see a
lady buying Maxwell House coffee on the left
and Parrots on a 1950 Ford pickup right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

I see a golfer stepping up to the tee and a Victrola by a fireplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I was going to say I saw a horsey and a piggy, but. . . .
We are looking at clouds, aren't we??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

I don't know if anyone noticed but the guy on the right and the guy in the middle are the same guys in both photos. That first pic is so great, I put it as wallpaper on my shop computer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Rich Eagle, I said the same thing - that display case looks real nice!

Can you imaging using those turn style hand drills again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Uh, Robert . . . I don't have to imagine . . . I use 'em. Hand tools like that are far more efficient than the generation brought up on "power tools" can imagine ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

R. B. is right, they don't even stock a "speed wrench" at NAPA anymore. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

I have a nearly identical "display case" in my shop. It holds my various
paints and glues, sealants, and solvents.

Just say "no" to cheesy Costco shelving !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration