A cold day in 1919-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A cold day in 1919-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:57 am:

This was marked Bertha Trubloods funeral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I see a blanket on one hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

"It will be a cold day before I go to Aunt Bertha's funeral", he said..."OK dear I'll start the car!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Looking at this photo makes me wonder what was used for anti-freeze back in the day. Did they have "anti-freeze", perhaps less well developed than the stuff we have today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Didn't they use some kind of alcohol back then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Yes, they used an alcohol mixture. But the car would start easier if you drained the water out and then heated the water back up in the morning and poured it back into the engine. But if you forgot to drain the water it could cause big problems. Our 1915 block was replaced in 1916. But the head was repaired with lots of welds where it had frozen and was repaired.

Form the on line literature at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm the 1921 Owner's Manual has:

Will the Radiator freeze in winter? Answer No. 40
  Yes, unless an anti-freezing solution is used in the circulating system you are bound to experience trouble. As the circulation does not commence until the water becomes heated, it is apt to freeze at low temperatures before it commences to circulate. In case any of the radiator tubes happen to be plugged or jammed they are bound to freeze and burst open if the driver undertakes to get along without using a non-freezing solution. Wood or denatured alcohol can be used to good advantage. The following table gives the freezing points of solutions containing different percentages of alcohol:

20% solution freezes at 15 degrees above zero.
30% solution freezes at 8 degrees below zero.
50% solution freezes at 34 degrees below zero.

  A solution composed of 60% water, 10% glycerin and 30% alcohol is commonly used, its freezing point being about 8 degrees below zero.
  On account of evaporation fresh alcohol must be added frequently in order to maintain the proper solution.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Yep ! Alcohol, and methanol is the cheapest to produce. I wonder if it was denatured to discourage the driver from having a snort along with his faithful T ?

Seems to me I recall reading about alcohol-based preparations for the purpose, I'd guess some kind of mix that might have slowed down the rate of evaporation of the alcohol ? Anyhow, that was the stuff before ethylene glycol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

My dad used to tell of always draining the radiator at night then adding alcohol if running in continuous cold. He said you had to keep an eye on it though as alcohol evaporated pretty quick. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Rich and all,Methanol will cause permanent blindness. It is used as a denaturing agent in ethanol to stop people from drinking it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I used alcohol in my cars in the early fifties, a lot of people did.
It was ok for normal driving but if you got stuck in the snow or went off the road and you were stuck and trying to get going the car would boil in no time and the radiator would get low quickly.
A 50-50 water/alky mix would boil at a very low temperature.
We had to run 160 thermostats to keep it from boiling out.
The hardware store I worked in had a barrel of alcohol that people would pump it out of into their own containers.
It was pretty cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:04 am:

During prohibition, there was a party in Saginaw Michigan's Sandhill neighborhood. Someone had a barrel of alcohol. A few of my Dad's friends were fatherless afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:59 am:

An old timer from a northern state who had a summer home in this area once told me that he used kerosene. He said that they had to change hoses often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Could probably find out where and when that picture was taken by going to Find A Grave .com and putting in Martha Trubloods name. I tried but I am not signed in to that sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Aaron, you grabbed my attention, how can a thermostat keep a cooling system from boiling? I think all they can do is raise the minimum operating temperature.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Terry, I think they changed ordinary 180 degree thermostats for 160 degrees instead, to make the coolant circulate earlier - reducing the risk for freezing in the radiator.

Another thing that would help would be something that covered the radiator, also often seen in the past. All cars in Sweden had radiator curtains from the 30's to the 50's, regulated by a chain at the dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Roger, it seems to me that with one thermostat it will start circulating the water once 160°F is reached and the other once 180°F is reached. At that point the water is free to circulate the same in both. If enough heat to boil the water is produced then I see no reason that either thermostat will stop it from boiling.

Similarly if the water is to freeze it will happen when the car is not running and neither thermostat will have a bit of effect on that particular problem.

Thermostats are used to keep the coolant at operating temperatures. They will allow the engine to heat the coolant quicker but a properly functioning radiator is required to limit the temperature of the coolant from reaching it's boiling point.

The boiling and freezing points are determined by the chemical content and concentration of the coolant.

IMHO, TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration