Warped Clutch Drum : Whoops

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Warped Clutch Drum : Whoops
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:05 am:

We used a two jaw puller, a long wrench and a lot of heat to finally remove this clutch Disc Drum. In the end it was warped beyond future use. Turned out there were two burrs on the shaft that were binding the assembly.

drum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:31 am:

I would wager that the shaft is toast too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Maybe ... but I have a couple extra. I filed off the burrs and went over it with emery paper. Looks fine and doesn't bind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Mark I had a clutch drum warped like yours that I threw away a few weeks ago. I removed it years ago and it was super tough to move until I used a 5 ft. cheater bar on a break over handle and socket with my original Ford clutch drum puller. It didn't hurt the Ford puller but the drum looked like a boat after I got through with it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

This one took two days. We warped it on the first try, then let it rest. The next day I used a longer handled socket wrench on the puller and that did the trick. Amazing that a little burr could cause so much trouble. I guess the shaft shouldn't be completely loose, but based on the period illustrations it should come right off with minimal effort.

torch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

it looks so easy here!

service

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration