'22 Coupe Hood: too short & bent

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '22 Coupe Hood: too short & bent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

The hood sides are 12 inches, one side is 3/4 inch short of touching the hood shelf. The left side is an inch and a quarter short.
The latches are so short that you can't latch the hood.
Second issue, the right side of the hood is bent so that the hood does not follow the radius of the radiator.
See Pictures.

What do you all think the problem might be?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Turn the hood around, you have it backwards, louver opening is to the back.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

It's right, my bad, the reflection through me off.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

How does it fit without the wood blocks under the sides?
Or;
Low sides on tall top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Me thinks maybe you have a "high" radiator with a 'low' radiator hood? That combine don't work...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Galen, high or low radiator, the radiator is the same dimension at the top. So your top panel needs to be bent to fit the radiator shell. Once you have that done, then you may be able to sort out other problems. Get the front and back of the top panels fitting to the radiator and cowl first and then do some measuring to sort out which side are needed.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Measure the back of the side panel and then the front.
If it's 13 1/2 inches high in the back and 12 inches high in the front then 26 inches at the center hinge back edge to front you have a low hood & set of side panels. If it's 14 in the back and 13 1/2 in the front and 24 3/4 at the center running back to front along the hinge you have high hood top & side panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Courtesy of Lang's catalogue:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

A big thanks to each of you folks for trying to help me figure out my problem. After measuring here are my figures.John: back side=13 1/4 ,front= 12 and top along hinge=24 3/4, Allen core=16 3/4 and bottom of shell to shell ear=14 3/4, Mark, I don't believe there is any wood shim under the radiator. Isn't this suppose to be a low radiator rig? I haven't tackled the top panel bending yet. I can tell you that the hood clips are to short on the passenger side to latch due to the hood being so far from the hood shelf. One other thing. I have the car on winter jacks all the same height. When I put a level on the rod running from the rad to the firewall the front of the rod is an 1 1/4 inches lower. Mark, perhaps it is low sides and a tall top! Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 03:04 am:

Galen, your 1922 coupe should have a low radiator and your measurements seem to match the low radiator measurements in George's picture OK. Both side hood panels are low radiator type but the drivers side hood side panel is really a passenger side , the lover openings should face the rear of car. The passenger side hood top panel is for the drivers side and is backwards. I can't see enough of the drivers side top panel to tell anything about it. Unless you have other hood parts you don't have enough correct parts for one hood. Think about getting a new Rootlieb hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 03:12 am:

That should say hood louver openings face rear of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 03:46 am:

Galen, post some more pictures of the hood sides so we can tell for sure what you have. The louvres on the drivers side do look to be facing the wrong way, but yet they are at the rear part of the panel? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 04:32 am:

The hood side panels are not switched.But,what l DO see is this is a very early low hood,charactereized by the two-rivet hood handle,as opossed to the handle being secured by the punched hole.
I fought this EXACT same problem with one of these earlier hoods.It SHOULD have fit.But no amount of cussing,bending and measuring did any good.The son of a bitch just would not fit.Solution:a different original low hood,with holes in the handles,of which l had a number of.Makes NO sense,and l just accepted there are things in life that are inexplicable.If you don't think so,you haven't lived much.l gave that hood to a guy that was building a '17 for show points.l never heard what luck he had with it.Actually,gave away is not accurate.l threw it in with an early 1917 fan shroud l sold him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 04:36 am:

What l meant to say is two rivets per side of handle,making four rivets per handle.Overkill at its Henryest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Hi Jim, Thanks for helping with my hood problem. That hood has been a real bitch. The old hood off of my 18 center door fits much better than the one that was on my coupe. That center door hood is rough but a nice fit. I am building a jig today using the center door hood as a mold. I think I am wasting my time buy I am stubborn. I am most likely going to do what you wound up doing, give the damn thing away! Thanks again. I enjoy all your posts. Thanks again and have a nice spring. By the way do you go to Chickasha? Best regards, Galen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:17 am:

Galen, your measurements indicate that your radiator is a low type.
Here's how I would proceed. I would take off the side panels first, leaving the two top panels together on their hinge pin. Then the panels need to be bent to conform with the shell. I use the snout on my anvil as a former around which they can be bent. A piece of larger diameter pipe in a vice works the same.
The first two or three inches either side of the hinge are a bit flatter than the rest of the top of the panel. This first curve is often missed. once that is done then your panels need bending closer to the hinge so that they fit better at the corners. This may mean that the last bit of the outside bend may need to be opened up a bit. The same procedure applies at the rear of the panels at the cowl. With luck, the side panels will take care of themselves.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:41 am:

Galen, Allan has some good advice. I will add that just take your time and don't try to do everything at once. Bend a little, then check, bend a little, then check. Just work on getting the high side or the low side to where you want it. Kind of like the guy that asked the sculptor how he could make a statue. "Easy" he said. "I just chip away everything that doesn't look like what I want!" :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration