1926 Headlamp Bucket Dilemma

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Headlamp Bucket Dilemma
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Arizona on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Disassembled my 1926 roadster headlamp buckets and found this. The rim retainer on the bottom of the buckets is rusted through.

My options are to have them repaired and spend time sandblasting and finishing or buy a complete new pair of reproduction headlamp assemblies available through the vendors in the $330. to $350. range.

One vendor has the bucket shell only for $250. a pair.

Thoughts?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Bob, I may have one. Post a picture of the mounting bracket. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Arizona on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Arizona on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Both headlamp buckets are in the same condition, Will need 2.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

If the metal on the lower portion of the headlights is still solid but has some minor rusting here and there you can clean this area up and use some JB-Weld to coat the area and sand it smooth. The area is not a stress area and it will look good when repaired and painted.

This type of headlight can still be found and you can find better one's but they can be repaired. Don't throw them away. People have repaired and used these that were a lot worse shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Hello Bob I have a complete set restored on a lightbar
The rings are original I had them nickel plated as well as the reflectors I would like 300+ shipping
And I will be at Chickasha thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

I'm having trouble getting the rim off one of my 26 light buckets. I've push, turned, yelled at it, cussed it, what more can I do to get this thing off. Lang's suggested cutting it off and getting a repo rim. Hope this is not the answer but......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Bob, You're lucky. Your buckets mount directly to the headlamp bar as late 26 and all 27's did. The early 26 buckets mounted directly to the fender with no headlamp bar, and they are a little harder to find, but the kind that you need are more plentiful. If you don't get offered one or two buckets for free (postage on you), I may have an extra one or two in good condition. Don't spend your retirement money for repo's. It may be a few weeks before I can look for them and ship them as I'm having cataract surgery, tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Jerry, Do you have one of the headlamp removal tools that Bob's Antique Parts makes? I have one that you could borrow, if you haven't tried one of his tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Bob, no luck. I have two really nice buckets, but they are the early fender mount style. I also have another one that is a bit rusty, if anybody is looking for some. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:51 am:

I just weld a little piece of metal in and they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:27 am:

Try calling Lang's and see what they have available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Arizona on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Thanks all for your thoughts, offers and ideas. Thanks David for checking. Terry, best of luck with your cataract surgery, Had mine done 3 yrs. ago. best thing I ever did for my eyes.

After sleeping on it, am going to give the repair route a try.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 05:27 am:

Bob, donor pieces can be cut from a rubbish bucket of any vintage. Just cut out the donor piece and make the same cuts in your lamps and oxy weld them in. I do it all the time to make otherwise lamps, saleable at swap meets.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration