Webber carb manifold for my T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Webber carb manifold for my T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Here is where the pair of 42DCOE28 Webber carbs attach!!

Top view

And here is Jim doing the welding for me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Les, I've got about a half a million questions or at least 5 to 10 I'd like to ask you. They involve camshaft lift and duration, valve size, compression, type of lifters, bore size, type head, spark plugs, fuel and possibly a few relevant to what you're doing there. Did I mention ignition? The problem however is that I'm extremely ignorant in the science and secrets of speed and what makes it all make sense. And there's something about that manifold that makes me think you've got something in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Mike
Not long ago I posted a picture of the combustion chamber in the cylinder head. Basic point distributor ignition. The cam is a special grind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Is the TIG that loud as to require hearing protection?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 02:05 am:

I have welded up similar manifolds for my Mercedes. Based on the gas flow speed setting the lengths of the intake tract from piston crown center to the end of the velocity stack can help "ram tuning" I seem to recall I was looking for 18 inches, to correspond to 6000 or so RPM.

I used downdraft Webers from a Porsche 356. My manifold tuned 90 degrees out of the head.

Looks great Les, Cannot wait to see it assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:22 am:

Chad
The welding is loud enough. Jim is a one man shop and he is now 50 and he still has good health and hearing
Eric
I didn't put too much science into it. I started with the cast aluminum one from a Alfa Romeo and added the pipe adapters and connector flange

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Les, please continue to keep us up to date with what you've got going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Interesting Les! I have long felt that a good carb would help a STOCK T with vastly better atomization then any of the vintage carbs made a hundred years past. Your setup is light years beyond my thinking using four Makuni carbs from a motorcycle. They have seven overlapping atomization levels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:33 am:

One thought, I don't know what the carbs weigh but that far out from the block and made from aluminum vibration might be a factor without support.
The carbs I am thinking of use shaped short rubber tubes that line up with stock T intake ports and are side draft with one control for opening and one for enrichment----no pump. It would be a bitch to get them adjusted with all the atomization parts though. The one made for a Harley has a pump--side draft and should fit inside a hood. My thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Les,

Where will the exhaust go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Paul
Certainly the weight hanging out there is a concern. The pieces of pipe are 1-1/4" nominal pipe (1.660" OD) by "std wall" (about .2" thick). So the assembly is quite strong. I will very likely add a brace on final assembly
Mark
The exhaust ports will be in the usual locations. The centre part of the adapter flange was left in place to ensure that everything stayed in its correct location during welding. I will now do a bunch of grinding and general " cleanup " and at the same time remove the centre material that is covering the exhaust ports. Then will come the exhaust header. I'm waiting on materials from Speedway!!
On a previous "incarnation " of this intake system I used a Stromberg/Holley 94 downdraft (49-54 Ford). I have no experience with Mikuni or similar. These Webbers are going to be a "learning experience "!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Les, in past postings (I can't remember the title or who posted) I recall seeing a T block with substantially enlarged and modified intake ports, which included a divider. Is this that block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Gary
I've been using that approach since the early '80's. I've enlarged and inserted dividers in several T blocks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration