Gas Line Fitting Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Line Fitting Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:11 am:

Can anyone tell me what the thread size/type is on the sediment bowl outlet connection for the fuel line?
Thanks!!!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:50 am:

It is 1/2" - 18 thread for a 1/4" compression fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:15 am:

That was fast! Thanks!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Was it a straight thread as opposed to tapered? Is it a "standard" such as NPT or NC or ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:44 am:

It's the same thread as the elbow on the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:52 am:

No taper. The #2910 pack nut is used at both the sediment bulb and the carburetor. It's available new. The #6154 elbow isn't being reproduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:08 am:

"Can anyone tell me what the thread size/type is on the sediment bowl outlet connection for the fuel line?"

Are you talking about the thread in the sediment bowl, where the fitting goes in?
Or the thread on the fitting where the pack nut goes on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I guess you can call it a compression fitting, but it's not one in the sense of the modern brass collar type that cinches down on the line when tightened. They were made for a felt packing that compressed and sealed the joint. The carb elbow can be replaced with a modern fitting, 1/8 NPT / 1/4" tubing with a modern compression fitting but the original pack nut should not be used with modern hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I always use a brass compression ferrule with the original hardware at both ends of the steel fuel line. No leaks ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Some of the parts dealers sell the original elbow used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I'm asking about the fuel line threads for the fuel line male part. Yes, I would think it would be the same at the sediment bowl and the carburetor. Is it some extinct thread specification or are there modern fitting made to those specs? I know you can buy replacements from suppliers...just wanting to know what the spec is for it and if it can be found today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

See my first answer to your question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

The taps and dies are available anywhere. I bought a set last month on eBay for $18 die, tap and bottoming tap with free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

I think it is 1/4 pipe thread "straight".
1/4 - 18 NPS.
I have the taps, dies, extra fittings, etc. and can bring them Thursday evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

JD,

I used to think so too. I bout the 1/4" NPS tap / die and bottoming taps. Turns out some of the auto industry used the 1/4" NPS fittings, but not Ford, at least not on the Model T.

1/4" NPS is just slightly larger diameter than 1/2" - 18 and also has 18 TPI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

It is not straight pipe nps, it is 1 2 x 18. Royce is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

OK. I checked Machinery Handbook and your correct.
The 1/4 - 18 NPS is noticably larger.
I must have the regular 1/2 - 18 tap, as it doesn't remove much "base" material.
Just cleans out the gunk.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration