Flywheel ring gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Flywheel ring gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:53 am:

What is the easiest way to change the ring gear on the flywheel?
The teeth are pretty well ground down on the engine that I am rebuilding.
I have the transmission off the engine.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Just remove the brass screws and tap the ring gear off the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:17 am:

You need to get new brass screws with threads to match the new ring gear. Need to replace them anyway because they are peened where they go through. If you have to go to the trouble of removing the brass screws you might as well remove the magnets and check for cracks and replace any which are cracked, then replace in the proper order and highth from the flywheel and re charge the magnets. This is a lot of work and you need the books, engine, transmission, and electrical system for detailed instruction on how to do all those things. You might as well go through the engine and transmission while it's apart.

I know the above seems like a lot of work, however it will save you a lot of work in the future if any of those other parts need work soon.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Save that old ring gear to use when you build a HCCT. Then grind all the teeth off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Agree with N. Kling about checking and recharging the magnets when changing the ring gear. While your at it you might want to get a rebuilt magneto ring also.
If its an original mag ring the insulation might 'look good'. But if its starting to flake off with your fingernail better replace it. After 80-90 years it does deteriorate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Thanks for the advice guys. I do have to replace the magneto ring. Something must have been dropped in the transmission because some of the coils are mechanically damaged.I have a used one given me by a friend that I'm going to try and test and use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

If you are going to put in the time to go through it, do it right. Install a rebuilt magneto coil ring not something old and crusty. The old and crusty ones can't be re-coated to any successful degree and will in the end, be a mess. If you don't have the book(s) to guide you thru this job, I highly recommend that you get them post hast. This job should be covered in both the Club's Engine or Transmission rebuilding books. Available from all the suppliers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration