OT -for what it is worth - Olive Drab

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT -for what it is worth - Olive Drab
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:58 am:

From a site with many colour examples - "The Federal Standard color system, officially named Federal Standard 595C - Colors Used in Government Procurement, is a United States Federal Standard, issued by the General Services Administration. It is last revised in 2008. The standard is also widely referred to as FED-STD-595, FS-595, or similar names with the version letter appended. The standard is built upon a set of color shades where a unique reference number is assigned to each color. Each color in the Federal Standard 595C range is identified by a five-digit code. The colors in the standard have no official names."

Olive Drab - 14087
Olive Drab - 34087
Olive Drab - 34088

And field drab - 30118.

http://www.federalstandardcolor.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:26 am:

George, do these specs refer to any type of gloss or flatness standards. Is the shade of the colors the same regardless of the level of gloss? It is my understanding that in WWII, most vehicles were painted in a lusterless OD green and most ammo cans and ord was in a semi gloss sheen.

I have seen reference to large vehicles being painted during the war by German POW's with mops soaked in 55 gal drums of OD green and mopped on. The intention was to cover the vehicle, not make it inspection ready.

I have also seen reference to lusterless painted vehicles wiped with diesel gas to give them a sheen for motor pool inspections, post war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Robert - I did find a site that now eludes me where within the paint number there was a reference to the finish - flat or gloss.

This site, with colour chips, states "found 20 paint color chips with a color name of "Olive Drab" sorted by year>"
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Olive%20Drab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Haave you seen this site?

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/products.htm

The shade 8 lusterless is what I painted my WWII jeep and the Gillespie equalivant is what I painted my WWI Model T machine gun carrier. The T came out a little gloss on the metal, not so much on the wooden surfaces. The WWII jeep came out extremely flat, almost fuzzy, but I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:15 am:

when stationed in Germany in the early 60's, We painted a VW OD Green One Gal. of yellow and one Gal. of black..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:17 am:

From my days working for a USAF defense contractor, that numbering system uses: When the first number is a 1 that means gloss finish, if the first number is a 3 that is a flat finish, if it is a 2 that is semi-gloss. You can have the same colour with different first numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Todd - thank you those were the numbers I could not find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Robert- thank you for the paint chip site.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration