OT: Model T woodworkers, what is the name of the ninge I am looking for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Model T woodworkers, what is the name of the ninge I am looking for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:35 am:

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I'm looking for a special hinge that will allow me to build an approx. 2" x 2" bow set. The bow for the rear bed in my WWI machine gun carrier will slide down into stake pockets. The bow at the front of the bed will slide in a set of stake pockets as well, but since I have no windshield, I want two "arms" to swing up from the front bows and create a locking 90d angle that I can hang a canvas top over and strap down to the wooden firewall. I've seen this type of set up on other Model T era light trucks and ambulances.

But the hinge I am looking for is almost a type of cot or folding table type hinge that wraps around both pieces of the 2x2 stock, but allows the "arm" to swing up. I believe the locking floding arm will be a separate piece, like attic staris or card table type locking/folding strap.

Just don't know where to start looking for the hinge I am envisioning. Maybe it doesn't exist.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

I'll hang up and listen . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Robert, I can't quite picture the type of hinge you are describing, but as a professional furniture maker I spend entirely too much money at Horton Brasses. If anyone has what you are looking for, they will. You might also check with Londonderry Brasses; they have a very nice catalog online that might point you in the right direction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I think I can picture what you're talking about. Is it the leg bracket like what's on an old wooden army cot? I think using something like that would necessitate having the top swing over from the top rather than swing upward. Try looking for a folding leg bracket or a folding shelf bracket. Somewhere like rockler.com or another woodworking site. I've not seen the one you're describing that wrap around the post though. Most seem to be surface mounted. The wrap around bracket might be able to be fabricated if you've got the skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

I think a folding table or bench bracket may work for you. Look at on line woodworking supply stores. They are about $4.00 ea. They lock into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Looks like a folding shelf bracket is the way to go. They make them up to 16" long and on a 42" long arm swinging up from a 48" bow, that would work.
Found some on eBay, but even be a hardware store item or big box home improvement center. We have a Woodworkers supply store in the area as well.

TO THE WALLET!

Thanks to all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration