Amp meter readings indicate Houston has a problem.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Amp meter readings indicate Houston has a problem.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Wired up the T and installed headlights and everything "works", but when I asked my son to tell me what the amp meter reads, it says nothing on battery while running, nothing on mag while running or accerlating. When we turn the light switch to low or bright on battery or amp while running, we get a 6 on the charge side of the amp meter.

Before I start reading about generator cutoffs, brushes, etc., do I just have something flat out wired up wrong?

Only two wires go to the amp meter? One from the battery and one from the magneto?

It's a 26/27 engine, generator and starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

One from the battery and one from the magneto? What? I sure to heck hope you meant generator!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Hooked up backwards? Should go to discharge when lights are on, engine idling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Flip the wires to the ammeter so that it reads discharge when you turn the lights on.

If you have a voltage regulator, the ammeter will read close to zero as long as your battery is charged up.

If you're still running a cutout and your generator third brush is adjusted properly, you should see around 5 amps to the charge side at a fast Idle with the lights off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Robert
This is the most confusing and common area to get screwed up when rewiring a Model T.
Give me a call tomorrow between 11AM and 4PM EST and I will walk you through two simple tests to confirm the "charge" and "discharge" circuits are wired correctly.
Ron Patterson
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Robert
Print this wiring diagram. It is the only one I will use when helping with Model T wiring problems.
I KNOW IT IS CORRECT in all respects and many others are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Robert, call Ron. But also like as mentioned, you may have the ammeter hooked up backwards if it is a factory one. And if it is the cheap 26-27 style repro one, it needs to be hooked up backwards to work right...I found out the hard way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Robert, this is Cap-Com in Huston, we suggest you rap the offending meter and check the switch settings. If this doesn't solve it, we'll have you roll so the um, "spy" satellite can check your thermal tiles.
:-)
Although this is meant as joke, that is exactly what they did on the first shuttle flight, then quickly dropped the subject--the Pentagon wasn't happy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

David, truth is way stranger than fiction. Wow.
Bob I hope you can call and get it figured out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I'm sending this thread to my son who will go out and take a look at the situation. Yes, battery wire and GENERATOR wire, not mag.

He's pretty good with this stuff. I can do a lot on the T with my situation, but following wiring diagrams is not one of them.

Thanks for the help and the offer to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Robert, The 26/27 type ammeter especially the new reproduction ones are not accurate. I do recommend using a better ammeter to adjust the third brush if that is necessary. Also I do recommend the voltage regulator from Fun Projects. It will prevent over charging a battery as well as protect the generator if there is a wiring problem. A good ammeter can be connected at the cutout/voltage regulator temporarily while adjusting the third brush. If you do get the Voltage regulator from Fun Projects do follow the directions religiously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Common sense prevails! After reviewing the wiring diagram attached to this thread, we switched the two amp meter wires, and VOILA! 0 while running on battery or generator and 6 on the discharge side when lights are on.

We'll review the cutout on the generator settings and make sure to tweek the cutout. But right now, we are wired up correctly.

Thanks to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Robert
Sounds like your discharge circuits are wired correctly, but the charge circuits are not.
As I explained above, give me a call and I will walk you through two simple tests to confirm the "charge" and "discharge" circuits are wired correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Ron, we will call Friday early afternoon if that is convenient. We'll have T warmed up and multi meter in hand, and 6v battery fully charged. The battery is only a few months old, so should not be a weak link.

Appreciate the assistance in this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Ron the coil man was fantastic. Over the phone walked us through some wiring and diode issues and a new diode cutoff from lang's (fun projects) and we are now discharging when we should be and charging when we should be.

Successful splashdown!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration