Demountable or non

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Demountable or non
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

A potential buyer asks so I ask... can nondemountable, wood spoke, wood felloe wheels be converted to demountable by welding on the 4 "tabs" and drilling the felloes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

No. Or yes, but... I suppose it's theoretically possible, but it strikes me as a colossally bad idea. The only question in my mind is how long it would take to achieve the disintegration that would put you in the ditch. My guess would be not very long at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

I suppose nothing is impossible, but what he is suggesting is pretty close to it. The rims are a tight press fit onto the wood felloes, then riveted.

If he wants demountable wheels, his best bet is to trade his non-demountables to someone for a set of four demountable wheels with five matching rims so that he'll be able to carry a spare rim/tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Thanks, I had to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

No.
But not to worry. Decent non-demountable wheels are worth more than comparable standard model T issue demountable wheels. And the standard model T issue demountable wheels are much easier to rebuild for the do-it-yourselfer. The spokes are standard fit enough, that they (the spokes) can be bought from several suppliers. One can build a simple spoke press, and assemble the wheels themselves. Wood felloe non demountables were not built precise enough for any suppliers to want to provide spokes or felloes. And the assembly is more difficult and tricky for the average do-it-yourselfer. (The basic spoke press CANNOT be used with the wood felloe wheels!)
I hope that helps explain it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:18 am:

No, it would be unsafe and not be a good idea. The aftermarket demountable wood felloe wheels from the teens use a thicker wood felloe and a steel band around the outside of the felloe for support. The demountable rim is designed to mount over the steel band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:56 am:

NO !!!!!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Absolutely Not.

Don't even think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

The value of demountable wheels is highly overrated. With modern tires, properly inflated, you're unlikely to have to change a tire at the roadside. If you do, changing a non-demountable tire is only slightly more work than changing a demountable.

I've driven many, many thousands of miles in antique cars over the last two decades. I've only had one flat while driving. That was on my first Model T and was caused by the previous owner's use of rusty rims and failure to use tire flaps to protect the tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

I'm with Eric. _Perhaps because of the few miles per year we tend to put on our old Fords (about 600 miles annually, in my case), the likelihood of suffering a puncture is fairly low.

This was confirmed when I asked for a poll of this forum, on this subject, last year:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/686312.html?1477076951

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Can happen today if you are following a road filled with other Model T's, and one in front of you dropped an upholstery tack on the road. Just ask Pete Ratledge!

Carry along a spare tube and a tire pump, and all can be good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Amish country you have horseshoe nails and sometimes the entire horseshoe. Many mobile home plants in our area also. Screws are plentifull around here. I Always carry spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Wood fellow wheels 30x3.5 could be but why
Want wood fellow demountable wheels seek out a set of Firestone wheels.
Or wood grain the steel fellow joking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Even if it was possible, you would have to carry 2 spares because the rims are 24" front and 23" rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

The old drop the upholstery tack on the road trick. That'll fix your enemies. The name is Bond, James Bond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:18 am:

I think a potential buyer for my car, no longer for sale, was trying to use the "your car lacks demountables" as a reason for the price be lower. Ain't happening. Ain't selling now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration