Not overheating brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Not overheating brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I know that the brake pedal should not be pushed for long without letting up so more oil can get to the lining. But, how long is too long? Should one "let up" every 30 seconds, 45?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

I'm sure there will be many differing opinions based on speed, etc..but i pump mine probably like every 5 seconds. Not only does it hopefully keep the drum cooler, but gives more warning to the idiots who tend to drive behind me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

No restrictions at all unless you read the fine print stating you aren't moving. Personally I drive as though I have no brakes and 5 seconds seems like a long time. I use the engine to slow down or in the case of long downhill grades Ill have the engine off bring the car to a near stop then alternate pedals to bring the car back to a near stop when it starts to speed up. Note this is only in extreme cases, the kinds of down grades where most newer cars have smelly brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

When sitting at a stop, the brake pedal should be firmly pressed down so the drum should not be turning, no heat. When descending a long hill and brakes are used to slow the car then yes the brakes should be pumped every so often to allow cool oil to the linings. Normal stopping in traffic, should not be needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Bringing the T to a halt....close throttle, let engine compression slow the pony down! Then apply brake pedal to complete stop. Should only take 5-10 seconds.

Now on a runaway downhill, close throttle too, but as speed creeps back up, tap the brake to check speed. Depending on the downhill grade, you may have to do this several times, hold each brake pedal stomp for 3- 4 seconds. Wait until speed develops again, then repeat, at intervals, to the bottom of the hill. That gives about 20 seconds or more between brake pedal stomps.

On any stop, you can keep the brake pedal fully compressed, won't hurt a thing, as when you are at a stop, the trans. brake drum is now stalled, as you keep the pedal down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Tommy,

On normal stops I usually don't let up on the brake. For heavy stops or long downgrades I let up every few seconds to let oil cool the drum and band. However, when you've GOT to stop, don't worry about any of that! Brake lining and drums don't matter if you're about to hit something.

By the way. My offer of a low hood still stands if you're gonna keep the car. (I'll also restate that it depends on if I can find it...) PM me if interested.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration