So what do you call your car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: So what do you call your car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Everyone has a name for their car. My daughter named ours. I think it fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

That depends on if Im working on it or driving it. This is a family show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Previous owner called her "Liz", so Liz she is. OK with me, I'm not much on original names . . . got a mare named Babe and a dog named Jack.

By the bye, I do like "Rattles" ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Nellybell after my Grandma (Nelly) Of course the only name I ever called her was Grandma but it just would not be right to call my car "Grandma" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

I named mine Henry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

The '14, the '15, Grandpa's '23, the Maxwell and the Speedster. I've never liked pet names for cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Shirley after my recently deceased dog.

Shirley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

My '23 Touring is named "Gracie"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

John Mays called my '24 Touring "Velma", but my wife and daughter recently changed it to "Daisy".

So...Daisy it is.

All my old cars have had pet names. My 66 F100 is "Luther" after the old man who bought it new and from who's estate I purchased it.

My '54 Ford Mainline is "Bubba". My sister named it that when I was in high school, because it was originally a sheriff's car in a small town in Oklahoma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

C'mon, Eric... So nobody ever called you by a nick-name? Nick-names usually originate in fun or fondness. Nick-names often reflect a personality or perception. Connotations of something like 'Hound-dog' to 'Squirrel' would likely conjure an image neither positive or negative. Is it our self or from others? We 'season' our food, why not our 'T'? It may be our perception of them....
My T's?
The '26 TT = "ToyBox Twoo"
The '25 Coupe = "Cranky"
Yeah, there's reasoning behind the 'names'......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

The Beast, .... Old Dog, ... perhaps others that escape my mind at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Burger, that's a fine portrait of "The Beast". Just makes me happy to look at it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Thanks, Rich. Makes me happy just to look at it too. It adds a lot of
"ambiance" to my shop and backroad scenes where I like to drive it. I
have a 500 mile road trip planned for it this summer. I should be able
to scar the minds of many for life. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Right now "Parts"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

THE POLLINATOR

THE TOURING CAR (I know; not too original)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

1911 touring - Carl

1916 coupelet - Isabel

Both are my grandparents middle names respectively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I guess I'm just not that creative. I've been calling it the Maxwell for 40 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:44 am:

Well, it started with my Model A when I was in 8th grade, "MaGreen" after the original owner (who actually was MR. Green, but he died when I was a year old, so I only new "Ma"). The '16 touring is Margaret, after the previous owner, the '26 so far is just "tudor" and the 25 is Barney, 'cause he came out of a barn and looks "barn-fresh."
Interesting, I don't have names for my modern irons, and didn't for any of my earlier cars (Nash Met, Anglia, early Dodges, etc.)and don't for my '53 DB P/U--maybe I should name it "Leo" after the man who gave it to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:49 am:

HENRIETTA PHORD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:34 am:

Clara, restored and named in 1973

Henry Samuel, restored between 1981 and 2005

Evangeline, restored 1987

Harry, restored 2008

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:29 am:

SaraJane! and I'm still looking for one to keep her company, but wife says not until I finish her car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:46 am:

As per my grandmother, Thea Jacketa which is Italian slang for junkpile or pile of junk? My 31 model A was the first car my dad bought me for $200.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:53 am:

I call her Kate after Katherine Hepburn. She make be old but shes got spunk and shakes a bit when she speaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:30 am:

This is Eliza. She's a little wilder than your average "Liz".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:37 am:

'12 Comm. Rdstr. P/U-- "Pete"
'13 Touring --- "Clarabelle" I call her Clara for short.
'20 Runabout-- "Lizziebelle"
'30 Model A Tudor-- "Bella"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:39 am:

As long as I've been alive, I remember my grandfather and my dad calling my Speedster simply "The T". That's what I'm sticking with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:47 am:

I call mine "The Model T". It doesn't say that anywhere on the car but, that's what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Thanks everyone this is a good showing of how these cars can become part of the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:14 am:

IT depends on what happens when i crank it! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:44 am:

it!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Mister Ed talked to Wilbur when they were alone together, but would clam up when anybody else was around. My roadster usually starts easily, but sometimes balks when people are watching. At such times I call it Mister Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:27 am:

This one is Nellie. Named because the day I bought it, it had a wheel shimmy and I shouted, "Whoa Nellie".

This one is a male so I called it,"Harrison".

This one reminded us of a cat in heat, so named it,"Miss Kitty"
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:28 am:

This one is Nellie. Named because the day I bought it, it had a wheel shimmy and I shouted, "Whoa Nellie".

This one is a male so I called it,"Harrison".

This one reminded us of a cat in heat, so named it,"Miss Kitty"
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Marc,
I didn't mean to offend, I just don't care for giving cars names unless they're racers or prototypes. That said, I do agree that cars can become interwoven with family history. Two of my Model Ts have so much sentimental value that they will never be for sale.

My '23 Runabout was a jalopy purchased by my grandfather shortly after WWII. I grew up thinking on that junk-mobile, building memories with Grandpa. Later, he gave the car to us. I restored it with the help of my father, again building memories, that outlive my family member. I look forward to gifting that car to one of my kids. I hope they cherish the memories built with me as we play with the car. I also hope that they still consider it "Grandpa's '23" in honor of the great grandfather who they never met. But, I'd think it weird if they started calling it by his name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:56 am:

My 20 roadster is called Grounds For Divorce because of the many hours I ignored my wife while restoring it and my 17 touring was named Beverly by my sister after the Beverly hillbillys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Jim I would call them great. How is progress on truck? Would like to see more pics on forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Ours have very practical names. The T. The TT. The A. The Mustang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Russell T. Phored. He is better known by his nickname: Rusty

Rusty on a cold December evening

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I looked online for a some turn-of-the-century name-candidates and found a list including, Adeline, Genevieve, Henrietta, Betsy, Agatha, Muriel, Alexandra, Ophelia, Priscilla, Gwendolyn, Felicity, Anabel, Gertrude, Wilhelmina, Harriet, Hazel, Esmeralda, Daisy, Constance, Agnes, Winnifred, Amelia, Mabel, etc.

From that list, my daughter and a buddy of mine both voted for "Penelope." _
Coincidentally, that was a name already associated with classic automobiles, so I went with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Not big on the name thing but "You stinkin' lousy blankety blank" comes to mind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

My 1924 cut-off touring, Betsy, got her name on an early drive with a friend shortly after I bought the car. I was crossing a two lane highway at Model T speed and a car was coming fast - suddenly he blurted out "come on Betsy!"

We made it across in time and she's been Betsy ever since. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Ferdinand Oscar Reginald Douglas, or "Ford", for short.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Burger in Spokane: I'm sorry but your truck looks like a BoB to me(Beast of Burden)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

25 Tudor is "Sweet T". 26 Roadster is "Hot T". 26 Speedster is "Ice T". 22 Project is "Bitof T". Over the years all of my cars, new or old, had names. Why? Jus cuz.. I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I call my '15 touring my " fast tractor " :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

26 Tudor, my daughter named her "Bernice"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

1915 Speedster, (project) "Evangeline"
1921 T Touring, "Anastasia"
1955 Ford Zephyr 6, "Purdey"
1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, "Daisy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vic Patterson. Grande Cache, Canada. on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

1926 TT grain truck is Lizzie and 1920 Touring is Matilda.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

23 Field Body Co. "Light express delivery". Started out by naming it "Hope", later changed to "The Hemorrhoid" as the car turned out to be a gigantic pain in the you know what. Last called it "Sold!" Have to admit, this was the only vintage vehicle I was ever happy to sell. Previous 23 Touring as simply called "Dads T" as it was a project I worked on with my dad before his passing. Still miss him and the T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Gracie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Money pit......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Speedy, my '20 runabout which is what I do, runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

'20 runabout, "Denise". My buddy named it so when something goes wrong can remind me of Dennis whom I bought the car from! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

"Miss Daisy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Ol' Girl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:48 am:

The Naked Lady is my 29 Speedster because a previous owner/builder did not put on any fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:45 am:

'26 T Touring - Bessie, named by my dad
'29 A Roadster - the roadster, my daughter won't let us name her
'30 A Town Sedan - Ruby, named by my daughter
'30 A Pickup - Red, because he's a Fire Chiefs car
'31 A Station Wagon - Woody, obviously
'30 AA - big green truck, my daughter won't let us name him
'42 V8 Sedan - Eleanor, just fits
'42 MB Jeep - Peaches, my mother's nickname during the war years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:44 am:

'14 Speedster- Timmy the T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I call mine "The 10 This photo was taken in 1996 with the same people who were in the 1946 photo when I bought the T as a 14 year ole.

"the 10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Mine is called LULU a 26 two dr. sedan, and LAWDY a 27 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

My 26 Touring is named Betty because the paperwork found under the seat had her name on it.

B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

My 24 C Cab is named Big Liz because it's the biggest T you can get.

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Grand daughter named him Stanley so Stanley it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry P on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Some great names guys!
I have to get my grandkids to name mine. For now I call it the "Ole one, two!". That's because I drive it for one hour and fix for two!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

All this name calling, I have to recall that Harold Lloyd movie that was posted here as a link a while back. He drives his T roadster (mistakenly) onto a railway flatcar, and the railroaders tell him to get that "Tin Grasshopper" off their train. That knocked me out !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Larry , thats what FORD stands for Fixed Or Repaired Daily. Lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

When my roadster is being shown off she spits, shudders and shakes, Then she is Jezabel. When I take her out for a spin with no one around she behaves beautifully. Then she is Jessie Belle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

The T is Henry.
'95 F-350 is Doug.
'56 Ferguson is Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:23 am:

My 20 Runabout is "T FOR 2". Says so right on the license plate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:52 am:

The BUMBLEBEE---(named by my grandkids...1924 touring.....

`24 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

No, Dallas, it means First On Race Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Then of course there's Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time.

And Just Everyone Else's Parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

My '23 Touring is Bullwinkle. No particular reason - my then 6 years old granddaughter named him. The name has stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

"Tin Grasshopper" That's a Good one!
Like Larry the Cable Guy would say...
"Now that's funny right there... I don't care who ya are!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

So far my T is called just that - "The T."

Maybe it will get another name in time, maybe it won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

I like all these names. I just call mine by it's body style or year. My model A was named "Flattery" as in "will get you nowhere" by the former owner. A coworker suggested I call my Yellow Speedster "Twee-T".
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

If I meet Tim Eckensviller there will be confusion because I also have 'The T'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Ever hear of driving off in a "Snit"? I have the original Snit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Michael, I drove off in a Huff one time and was passed by a Snit.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Road Kill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Mine is "the T" -except when I have to crank or push it, then it is the *!)?{}^@&er.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

I just had to chuckle over Erik H post...how original

Same system in this house...the '15, the Hack, the '25 and of course the final one Grandpops T (we can't seem to just go and call it 'the '26' and it has been 'Grandpop's T' since my kids were born and now they have kids themselves) :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

My wife wants me to call one of them Leakey. I think I'm going to call the speedster I'm building streatch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration