OT, can you guys identify the year/s for this Cadillac headlamp?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, can you guys identify the year/s for this Cadillac headlamp?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Been sittin' on this headlamp for nigh on forever.
A couple of scrappers happened upon my hill/yard looking for radiators and such, some 30+ years ago.
Ummm.... OK, yeah... C'mon (are they going to come back someday and really clean me out? I had diddledy-dee here in the woods then but...). So I grabbed a couple of modern radiators that were crap and showed them to the fellas. They offered I think 15 bucks for them.
I looked over their stuff and said "Hey, how about an even trade for that headlight?" They were happy as clams. So was I. I just put it away in a shed and worried when they'd be back. Still waiting...
The story is worth more than the headlamp prob'ly.
It's electric! Remember that?
Not sure IF I'd sell it and it won't go far toward model T restorations as far as I know... I once thought about putting it on my '29 International speedster pickup as a beacon kind of lamp.
You know how I'm thinking.
Can you fellas ID it?

lamp

lamp

lamp

lamp

lamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Oh my. That's early. Electric?
That was fast.

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 22, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

I believe Cadillac first offered electric lights around 1910, along with a self starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Actually it was 1912 that Cadillac came out with the electric starter and electric headlights as standard equipment.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Ken is correct. "The starters were first installed by Cadillac on production models in 1912..."
Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_F._Kettering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:23 am:

That could be a 1913 headlight. 1914 was different.
We owned a 1913 Cadillac for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:29 am:

1913 Cadillac at Holiday Motor Excursion:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Why have so many of these survived??l have had at least five or six of them.One even showed up on American Pickers.Is it because they are marked Cadillac so we know what they are instead of some mystery lamp that could have come off gawd knows what?Thats the only thing l can come up with.Yes,l know they used that lamp for several years.Cadillacs were around,but not common.My paternal grandparents,high school steadies,class of 1913,'courted'in his dads '13 Cadillac.l have the brass rimmed,spare convex lens for that very car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Good question Jim. I just talked to a guy that has two. The fact that they are brass underneath and say Cadillac must make them attractive to pick up. I restrain myself when I see them at swap meets but they do seem to turn up often. Or maybe it is a sign to pick up a Cadillac. :-) :-)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

I've got a pair of 1913 Cad. headlamps too. :-) Just hangin' on the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Hi From Iowa! I have '12 & '13 Cadi projects & am always looking for spares! With no lens & beat up bezzle it is only parts! I already need 1 good lens as 1 of mine is cracked - does anyone have 1 in there way? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Hi From Iowa! I have '12 & '13 Cadi projects & am always looking for spares! With no lens & beat up bezzle it is only parts! I already need 1 good lens as 1 of mine is cracked - does anyone have 1 in there way? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 06:47 am:

Does anyone know where I could find the (acorn)? nut like the nut on the fork of this light? I have a 1913 that has had similar electric lights installed but the nuts are missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Does any one need a left side cowl light for a 13 Cadillac ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Lenney,
Acorn nuts are available at

www.restorationstuff.com

page 42 of their downloadable online catalog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:15 am:

but that particular style of nut you would have to braze a lump on top of a a correctly sized nut, turn that point on a lathe, then get it nickel-plated!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration