Electrical problem cross timer issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Electrical problem cross timer issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:57 am:

old engine ran fine for months on old roller timer and home rebuilt coils until 4 new coils and a new tw timer ,took timer off and found that the pick up points on the timer were burnt on the end of timer not at the start and have had nothing but troubles since, back firing loss of power but go back to old roller timer every thing ok being in mind motor 85 year old untouched, then get a completely new block new rebuild ,new mag plate the whole works new coil box new anderson type timer checked chassis to engine block earth the whole lot
new start every thing ok but slowly deteriorating in timing and today take flapper timer off and to find a wearing burning at the back end of pickups and rotor ?
so question is what could be causing a burning and an engine surging trying to run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:12 am:

sounds like weak voltage.. and the burning caused by short arc due to high amps. Remember when voltage goes up amperage goes down, and when voltage goes down amperage goes up. You say you checked the earth (ground). Is there any corrosion in the positive wires at all???

Not saying I am right.. there is a lot smarter than me here.. but that is where I would look first.
And again... That's just me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration