Is there a standard location on the running board for tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is there a standard location on the running board for tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I've noticed that the vertical carbide tank/acetylene generator is often mounted in different locations along the length of the car. Sometimes more forward, sometimes more towards the rear. Is there a standard location for mounting this? In some instances the location seems to determine whether spare tires are mounted forward of the tank, or to the rear of the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Pictures found on Google Images show both vertical and horizontal, left and right, front and back.

A 1914 factory photo seems to show a horizontal tank, driver's side, front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Hi Rick,

Short answer: yes, there was a standard location for the factory mounted acetylene generator.

Now, once the car was in the clutches of the original purchaser anything could happen; the generator could be replaced with a Prest-O-Lite tank, the generator could be moved fore or aft to make room for a tool box, a tire carrier, and or a luggage rack. The generator would be removed if the lamps were electrified, as was done on my '14 by the original owner when he electrified the headlamps with a period kit and mounted a twin tire carrier on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:54 am:

The '13/'14 running boards are all punched for the carbide generator. Also, the splash aprons are punched for the acetylene hose from either a generator or Prest-O-Lite tank.
The gas hose hole lines up with the rear two generator holes in the running boards.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

The running boards are factory punched for the carbide tanks from 1913 - 1915. My '15 had its original running boards when I got it. Both sides were punched for the carbide generator, and the cars were all equipped with electric lamps by then.

The photo posted by Bill Harper has the proper location so that the driver can reach the water valve while sitting in the seat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration